IRN Scared!

Moderator: Mods

irn123

IRN Scared!

Post by irn123 »

Hello everyone, this is my very first post on this forum. I hope you guys help me out! :)
So here it goes, couple of days back I got a male Indian Ringneck from someone, according to the EX Owner, he is hand tamed, doesn't bite and talks which I highly doubt!
I've been trying to talk to him since the first day but it hasn't said a single word. Plus it's really scared, when he is in the cage and I get close to him, he tries to fly away from me and shift to the other side.
When he's out of the cage, I give him my hand but he moves away from the cage and goes to the corner of the wall and when I move towards him he starts screaming a lot and I have to get back so he could go back to his cage. He does accepts seeds and fruits from my hand but that's it, once he takes his food from me he doesn't dare coming close to me again. Though good part is that he hasn't bit any once since he's here. Please help me tame it or what should I do to gain his trust?
I've had 5-6 ringnecks like 4 years back, I got all of them from someone else and all were already tamed, they weren't scared of me from the 1st day and would allow me to touch them and pet them. Sadly we had to move and give them to some one else. But this one is apart from them.
Help! :)
sanjays mummi

Re: IRN Scared!

Post by sanjays mummi »

I am bound to wonder why his previous owner got rid of him, the Real reason, that is. If your bird was aviary hatched and parent reared, he is semi feral. He needs to learn to trust you, they are far too clever Not to distinguish between humans, you're a stranger, pure and simple, so why should he trust you at face value?.
Don't rush things, if he accepts food from your hand it's half the battle, when he is in his cage, sit next to him, have sing songs and conversations, eat next to him and offer choice morsels. As I've said before, if Sanjay Never sits on me I don't care, he is still my bezzie mate.
irn123

Post by irn123 »

sanjays mummi wrote:I am bound to wonder why his previous owner got rid of him, the Real reason, that is. If your bird was aviary hatched and parent reared, he is semi feral. He needs to learn to trust you, they are far too clever Not to distinguish between humans, you're a stranger, pure and simple, so why should he trust you at face value?.
Don't rush things, if he accepts food from your hand it's half the battle, when he is in his cage, sit next to him, have sing songs and conversations, eat next to him and offer choice morsels. As I've said before, if Sanjay Never sits on me I don't care, he is still my bezzie mate.
He didn't got rid of him, actually he has lots of them I just wanted one and he kinda gifted it to me.
It's not parent reared, it actually is hand reared according to the owner.
How do I make him trust me? Yeah I sit next to him almost all the time and talk to him. But to no good! :(
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

He definitely Wasn't hand reared!, that is evident by his fear. You got him "a couple of days back", do you honestly think a couple of days is long enough?, it took Weeks for my bird to settle in!, It really does take time and patience, but it is well rewarded.
irn123

Post by irn123 »

sanjays mummi wrote:He definitely Wasn't hand reared!, that is evident by his fear. You got him "a couple of days back", do you honestly think a couple of days is long enough?, it took Weeks for my bird to settle in!, It really does take time and patience, but it is well rewarded.
Obviously couple of days aren't long enough. All I meant to say is that owner said he's hand reared/tamed. But the other hand reared IRN's that I got before started to sit on me and talk to me from day one!
Now that it's kinda confirmed that he's not hand reared, what should I do to build trust with him! I do talk to him like around 10 times a day and take him out to the garden in the evening when all of us sit there. Feed him myself. But whenever he sees that my hand is too close to him he jumps and starts screaming.
Could he be hand reared at this age? I read somewhere that it's really difficult to tame older birds. I think he's around an year old.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay will nibble yoghurt from my finger, but detests hands, I can nuzzle and "kiss" him as long as I keep my hands behind my back, and he is seven this year, I got him at eight Weeks old. Sometimes, but rarely, he will forget himself and fly toward me and land Very briefly on me, then he wusses out! And flies off again, I really dislike any idea of wing clipping and won't do it on principle. Yet we are bonded in other ways, he reacts to me, if I ask "are you ok?" He makes a little noise as if to say "yes", when I put his fresh rations in his cage he makes a noise that sounds like "thank you" and I say "you're welcome", He semaphores when he wants to be covered, or wants a shower. So there are lots of ways to bond without actually holding your bird. It takes a lot of time and patience,
irn123

Post by irn123 »

sanjays mummi wrote:Sanjay will nibble yoghurt from my finger, but detests hands, I can nuzzle and "kiss" him as long as I keep my hands behind my back, and he is seven this year, I got him at eight Weeks old. Sometimes, but rarely, he will forget himself and fly toward me and land Very briefly on me, then he wusses out! And flies off again, I really dislike any idea of wing clipping and won't do it on principle. Yet we are bonded in other ways, he reacts to me, if I ask "are you ok?" He makes a little noise as if to say "yes", when I put his fresh rations in his cage he makes a noise that sounds like "thank you" and I say "you're welcome", He semaphores when he wants to be covered, or wants a shower. So there are lots of ways to bond without actually holding your bird. It takes a lot of time and patience,
This reminds me of my old ringnecks. :x
Whenever they would see me coming back from college they used to come to me and I would intentionally ignore them and they would bite me to get my attention! :P
BTW saw something positive today, I opened him up in the garden and he was making some kind of noise like he was talking and he was roaming around and playing with the bottle cap! Hopefully he'll get used to us! :)
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

That sounds positive, ;)
irn123

Post by irn123 »

sanjays mummi wrote:That sounds positive, ;)
I got another ringneck from the pet store yesteday!
It's a baby ringneck and according to the shop keeper, he's a male and around 1.5-2 month old!
Now the thing is even he's scared of me and my hands though he does sits on my hand for few seconds when I force him to. But before sitting he bites pretty hard and then sits. What should I do to make him stop biting as he bites pretty hard and my right hand is full of marks!
After that he does allow me to touch him but he seems scared.
As he's a baby, and instructions for taming him?
And one more thing should I keep the little one with the other elder parrot? For now I keep both of them in the same room but in different cages. Best part is that elder one is scared of the baby =)) and whenever he sees that baby parrot is getting close to him he starts talking!! Yes he talks in our language! :)
irn123

Post by irn123 »

Oh and one more thing I just noticed, I like to keep them open so that they can roam around but they seem to stay on top of the cage. So the thing is that the baby IRN is following the elder one where ever it goes, if the elder goes to the other cage, baby follows him if elder goes outside or any where, the baby follows him and the elder one seems to be annoyed with it. So should I keep the baby caged or let it be free? One more thing, as the elder one is scared of hands and flies away when someone gets close to him, the baby sees all this and is doing the same thing! So should I keep them in different rooms?