Some advice please

Moderator: Mods

Steve99750

Some advice please

Post by Steve99750 »

Hi guys
I'm a new irn owner I'm sure she's a female as no ring visible and she's around 4 months old
She's not tame and I'm struggling a little
I've had her nearly a week now,I let her out of the cage everyday and she gets out and either she'll sit on top of the cage or she flies up to the curtain rail and sits there ,
Sometimes she will fly back to the cage and get back inside (she's not clipped) other times she just sit on the curtain rail and she won't come to the cage and I feel really mean putting a towel over her to get back in,
Another issue is she rarely makes any noise only thing that works is a video on you tube of a flock of irn's then she'll fly around the room sqwauking
If love to be able to handle her also but she's scared of me and goes to back of the cage no matter how gentle voice and attitude I have she doesn't want to know

Any advice of the above would be greatly appreciated thanks
sanjays mummi

Re: Some advice please

Post by sanjays mummi »

Firstly, at 4 months old, you simply cannot assume your bird is female, males do not develop their collar until they are at least 18 months old.
You cannot expect a semi feral bird to be hand tame, or to trust you in such a short time. I have had my bird for almost 7 years and hands are still a no no, but he accepts treats from my fingers.
The best way to get your bird back into the cage is by putting fresh food inside. Sanjay comes out every day for a fly around, and I give the cage a good clean, as soon as he sees his fresh food and water etc going in, he goes in. It takes time to get into these little routines. Personally I don't care if my bird Never sits on me, I respect his freedom of choice, the sheer pleasure of his company is enough, They don't vocalise much at first, but as parrots go, they are not noisy providing they are occupied and healthy, it took Sanjay a few months before he felt secure enough to open his beak. Just talk, sing, whistle to your bird. And offer treats through the bars.