Baby biting

Moderator: Mods

wolfblitz007

Baby biting

Post by wolfblitz007 »

Hello everyone! I just got a hand fed, tame (at least at the store), baby IRN. I've raised all my other birds (sun conure, Bebe, goffin cockatoo & parakeet) & they are all very loving birds. When I visited with the IRN it was very friendly & cooing. Everything was great at home until day 2. The IRN had no issue stepping up but now it's biting & breaking skin. I worked with, we will call it a him for now, & did the step up after step up & the biting decreased. But he wouldn't stop the breaking skin biting. I had to leave for a few days so I took him back to the store to be boarded. I told the owner & she said she'd work with him to see what was going on. On pick up the owner said she'd been working with him but he was still biting her & me very hard. He doesn't like to be held on the fingers but prefers the shoulder.When he bites my finger hard I do the little earthquake movement. If I know if he's broken skin I'll put him down & walk away. I don't throw or yell at him because I know that will have negative effects. I sat with him on my lap & gave him toys to play with today & after he was pooped out he cuddled up next to my face (before he's randomly bitten my nose very hard). I've just never raised a bird like this & was wondering if anyone has some advice for me :|
Babsi

Re: Baby biting

Post by Babsi »

When I chose my handraised baby he was still in the weaning stage. I was at the petstore everyday for two hours everynight to allow him to get to know me. He was flighty, biting and fearful. I would cradle him in my chest, taking him back to the "nest-fledgling" stage of feeling protected in the nest. And oh boy did he bite me for 3 days. I ignored it, continued to soothe home with my hand gently held over his wings while he nestled into me.

Im no expert, but its now about two months later and he hasnt bitten me in almost that long and he craves the safe spot of my chest and soft words when I get him out of the cage. When he is settled down, he leaps up onto my shoulder with full attention for well over an hour of face-time and chatter. I can kiss and nuzzle and tickle without problem as long as warn him I will touch him with a simple gentle tap on his beak and saying "beepbeep". I think the verbal que and the action gets him out of hand-panic-mode and into the funstuff! Playtime and conversation with mommy.
%%- Happily sharing my life with Ronan, my new blue, male ringneck %%-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpgS0tqOMMk
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

I love this!, it's good to know I'm not the only softy, soothing sounds and gentle warning work beautifully, although we haven't got to the intimate stage you have, my bird wasn't hand reared. Incidentally, we once owned a gorgeous German imported German Shepherd called "Babsi" (Babsi Von Der Milchquelle),
Babsi

Post by Babsi »

sanjays mummi wrote:I love this!, it's good to know I'm not the only softy, soothing sounds and gentle warning work beautifully, although we haven't got to the intimate stage you have, my bird wasn't hand reared. Incidentally, we once owned a gorgeous German imported German Shepherd called "Babsi" (Babsi Von Der Milchquelle),
I'm glad you like my technique. I think in the beginning I was just as scared as he was. LOL. The contact between both of us has been incredibly therapeutic. And Im always amazed at how incredibly focused he is on my face while we go through our word and song routines.

Im very happy I chose my nickname for the board, as I hope seeing it reminds you of your beloved German Shepard. :ymhug: That really made me smile.
%%- Happily sharing my life with Ronan, my new blue, male ringneck %%-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpgS0tqOMMk