New fancy Indian ringneck

Moderator: Mods

Mamalousignont

New fancy Indian ringneck

Post by Mamalousignont »

:D so I have been wanting a ringneck for a vwry long time and I am constantly reading anything I can find about them. When I saw one in my local petco I watched him for about a month before I bought him he is 6 months according to the hatch date I was given, they NEVER handled him in the store and I am sure he was teased through the glass. The first day I was bit repeatedly he even seemed to hiss that was Friday now today ( monday) he still tries to bit but I tell him no he will now step up for me but not my husband seems to be terrified of the children. He will also now take treats from my hand.. he has his own flight room with big Windows when it isnt bed time. I spend time in with him but doing other things like reading to him playing music just being present and engaged without crowding him. My question is he to old to to tame him completely? He seems to make a squeaky toy nose when I am near is that a happy sound? What else can I do to show him that he is loved and safe?
sanjays mummi

Re: New fancy Indian ringneck

Post by sanjays mummi »

My daughter calls Sanjay a squeaky toy on legs! :-bd
No he isn't too old, but he needs to adjust to a new environment And children. As for biting, this is angst, he is scared, as is hissing, this is his way of telling you to back off, it's baby steps, and you are doing the right thing in just being companionable, I have always allowed Sanjay to do things on his own terms, ok, so he doesn't do things other IRN's do, but that's fine by me, as long as he is happy and healthy, and answers me when I say hello, or ask him if he's ok, shares food, and seems to like interacting, It sounds as though, like Sanjay, your bird was aviary hatched and parent reared, which means he is semi feral, anyway, just relax and give him time.
Mamalousignont

Post by Mamalousignont »

Thanks I figure like with anything he needs to learn I am not a threat and develop a interest in me, which seems to be working his name is pickles :) already just love him and the squeaky noises he seems to open his mouth and move it like he is trying to talk haha makes me a proud mama we possibly have 30 years together I dont want them rush him but would like to stay consistent I make a point to talk to him about every 30 minutes even more if I dont get up close I let him know I am close by he seems to like it
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

You are headed in the right direction! I love how you said you have 30 years together. \m/

Start a positive reinforcement program. Do a search on the subject on our forum. In no time you'll have the most amazing little fellow! These are such amazing creatures and everyday i feel like im a kid in a candy store with my ringnecks--really it's such a privilege to own these magnificent creatures. :p

Best wishes,

IMRAN-C

P.S. We look forward to your stories! :OP
Mamalousignont

Post by Mamalousignont »

Thanks its nice to meet fellow bird brains so when I talk about getting teary eyed over an accomplishment my pickles makes I know the look on the other side of the screen isnt a this lady is crazy look lol ;))