Hand Feeding 5 week old IRN need help.

Moderator: Mods

AnwarA

Hand Feeding 5 week old IRN need help.

Post by AnwarA »

Hey guys so I'm new to hand feeding parrots and I want to ask for some tips from you guys.

My breeder showed me how to hand feed and all the basics. For now my bird is healthy and fine I want to ask though if you guys have any tips.

Thanks so much.

He is 5 weeks old.

Also how long does it take them to grow their feathers.

Also this is my 3rd time getting a parrot.
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Hand Feeding 5 week old IRN need help.

Post by ringneck »

Hello Anwar,

It's so much hand feeding, eh? I absolutely love it!

The feathers should start coming in pretty soon now, at five weeks the feathers should be at the pin stage--looks like a bunch of straws all over the bird. In the next two weeks those will open up and you'll see your beautiful bird in perfect feathering.

As the baby starts to fledge, keep in mind that it will cut back on the feedings. Just feed more frequently until the baby has had its fill.

It should take between 11-13 weeks to wean. Continue to feed the baby until you're sure it's eating on it's own. Offer all kinds of foods daily--from whole grains to raw vegetables and fruits.

Also, let your baby ringneck master it's flight skills for at least two weeks before you clip; if you decide to clip.

Congrats and keep us updated!

Best wishes, :p

IMRAN-C
AnwarA

Post by AnwarA »

Thanks for the tips, I love feeding him he takes the food without any problem. He is just in his box all day and is happily chirping and napping.

Also I'm scared to feed him fruits even small pieces as of new. I think I'll introduce bananas next week and millet.

Also how much more weeks until his feathers are fully grown?

Also do you guys have any good guides to the weaning process?

This is my first time and so far it's going great!
Melika

Post by Melika »

AnwarA wrote:Also do you guys have any good guides to the weaning process?
Here's a short guide at the bottom of the first post here: http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=799

It's not everything, but enough to get you pointed in the right direction. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay