Hello

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

~~TC~~

Hello

Post by ~~TC~~ »

Hiya I am a new Alexandrine Parakeet owner to a wonderfull 3 year old male and a 18 month old girl, sadly both aviary parent reared birds so not overly tame as yet, but I live in hope that one day we will have a good freindship going on between us.

I have steadily worked my way up through the birds and at the moment forefilling one of my years long dream of owning such magnificent beautiful birds and loving every minuet of it ... yes, even the ear shattering calls lol

I am looking forward to reading more about your birds and learning more on how to keep mine in the very best possible way :D
nil

Post by nil »

hi Tc
welcome here
its not so easy to tame a not handfeeding bird.
it needs time and patience to tame your birds, first of all your bird must get used you and your place.
Dont do things that may fear or stress them
Anyhow irns will be a very nice company to you

good luck
~~TC~~

Post by ~~TC~~ »

Thank you for the reply. I do not mind if they never become hands on birds, in fact I think the chance of that are as remote as me winning the lotto ... but just watching them and caring for them in so thrilling after waiting for so long to own them.
I keep have a look at them and pinching myself just to make sure it is true :D
I have owned them for a week now, still no names as yet ... or pictures as I have not wanted to worry them in any way and only I go near their aviary or feed them at the moment to keep things as calm as possible.
It must be working as they have not 'head rolled' in over two days now :D
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

Welcome TC & your new family of feathers. A little over a year ago I started out with and Lutino IRN, now I have 17 of them, not to mention Sun Conures, Rainbow Lorikeets, Galahs, Eclectus..the list goes on

:)
nil

Post by nil »

I do not mind if they never become hands on birds, in fact I think the chance of that are as remote as me winning the lotto ... but just watching them and caring for them in so thrilling after waiting for so long to own them.

you think nice tc
the birds are lovely anyhow.
i have 11 irns and only one is tame, lazaros 10 months old now,the other are breeder ( i pair of them is lazaros parents).
They are enough tame but i cant touch them.
They take food from my hand and communicate very well with me, i love them so much.
A irn may be pet or breeder.
The pet must be taken while he is baby and must be alone without other bird, so he finds in a human a companion.
If are more than one it is difficult to become pets.
If you want, you can expect a lovely familly from your birds. :)
~~TC~~

Post by ~~TC~~ »

This forum seams full of wonderful people who just want to care for their birds and love the fact that we are honoured to own such beauties. I think I have found the right forum to guide me through my years of Alex ownership :D
BigChicken

Post by BigChicken »

TC, I have no doubt that almost any IRN can be tamed, weather or not they can all be hand tame, is another question! Some just do not like being touched. That doesn’t mean that they are not tame. It also doesn’t mean that they can’t be enjoyed as a loved member of your family. You have a good attitude about your birds. I have read that IRN’s are one of the easier birds to tame even if they aren’t hand raised when compared to other birds, and adults that have lost some of their tameness because of not being handled can often be re-tamed. Patience and time are the key to bonding with an IRN.