photos of various stages of growth

Moderator: Mods

larrylow

photos of various stages of growth

Post by larrylow »

Dear members, could one of you be kind enough to post some photos and written advice depicting the various growth stages of IRN's i.e from say fledglings to adults esp for lutino's for the benefit of members incl. myself. This is to help us identify juveniles from adults. For cocks I guess it should not be a problem but its the hens that I am concerned about. Thanks.
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Well I didn't take picture of my IRN while she was still a fledgling, but I do have some picture of my lovy when she was young and now.

1 month old

4 month old

Now 11 month old!

Notice the difference between her eyes and feather? at 4 month old she is molting and have a messy feather, and at 11 month she looks perfect. And you can see the difference between the eyes.
Oh and the tailfeather, but many adult IRN at petstore have short tail because it is damaged, so you cant really tell from its tail...

Im really sure that lovy is female because at 11 month old she still havent shown any sign of black ring on her neck, not even a little.
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I will add to giantfoot_trucks pic and add what I took of my IRN bubs from last years breeding season.

These are 1 - 10 days old chicks

This one is 3weeks and 1 day old

And this one is aprox 7.5 weeks old

Hope this helps :)
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

wow

i thought that mine could be going female but the pics of the little girl above really shows that mine is almost 99% male!

Thanks

I have a couple pics of oliver

here he is as a little baby

the day before he came to me

and here he is at 11 months
-Justin
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

One way you may be able to tell male from female is the shape of their head. Apparently girls have a more rounded shape then the boys.

This is my girl (DNA sexed so definate) and she has a very rounded head.
Oliver and Justin

yea i see what you mean

well he has lots of male charactertics and looks like a male head

only female characterics i have seen is when i pet him in the bath room when i get ready to go to school he tilts his head back
-Justin
pinkdevil

Post by pinkdevil »

I have also been told that females are noisier and more agressive than males. I have no experience in this as Jasper is my only tame IRN so have no males to compare. The others are all aviary birds and they are ALL cranky LOL :lol: :lol:
Oliver and Justin

i think that probably males can be noisey too

I mean if girls cna do the male dance
and males can tilt there head back

They could have all kinds of each others characteristics
-Justin
larrylow

irn pictures

Post by larrylow »

Thanks guys, you have been very helpful. Giantfoot_truck, apa khabar saudara. I'm from your neighbour Malaysia. Well I have a female lutino (DNA confirmed)named "Tweety" which I have a difficulty trying to age. Her leg band is not at all helpful. My guess is that she was hatched on the 16 March last year and that would make her roughly around 10 months old. her feathers are a little messy now and probably going through a molt. I'll try and get a pic posted soon (got to learn how to paste the stuff on this site)can you explain the "eye" difference that you mentioned because I would like more details. Actually I think the only sure way to know for sure is a DNA test. Otherwise wait for up to 3 years guys. My breeder friend was so convinced that one of his charges was a female until the ring started to appear when Diana (now Dean) was 3. No wonder the other cocks were not even bothered to court!!! To safe his reputation he now sends for DNA testing!!! Try avianbiotech. Its quite cheap and they will send over the kit for you to collect. Just give em a fresh feather really cool.
giantfoot_truck

Halo larrylow, kabar baik, terima kasih! :D

The eye difference I meant by the younger ringneck have eye darker than those of the older ringneck, notice lovy's eyes when she was 4 month old and 11 month old? at 4 month she have darker eye, and at 11 month her eye started to get less dark; "the white part of the eye started to get visible."
Dont know if that really matter for determining their age, but Im just suggesting from my experience.

Which photo site are you using? photobucket? If yes then you just need to copy and paste the link from the "IMG code" to here, and the pic will show up.
larrylow

irn pictures

Post by larrylow »

terima kasih bapak ya, I will try to put in some pics soon. I don't think the eye thingy will work with lutino's or albino's because its the same from birth to death. i used to go over to Jakarta very often on work assignments. Lovely place full of activity. Have you been here. Hope to hear from you soon. Selamat Sejahtera.
giantfoot_truck

lol saya terlalu muda untuk dipanggil "bapak", hehehe :D .

Yes I have went to malaysia before and visited the petronas twin tower, it was beautiful and really fun! The tower have many fun entertainment inside it, and I also went up high to the bridge of the tower, nice view when you look down at the city!
But too bad because I can't go to the highest level of the tower, they wouldn't allow anyone...
It would have been awesome if they allow us to go to the highest level of the tower!
larrylow

irn pictures

Post by larrylow »

Ok guys, here's a look at my little Tweety [http://picasaweb.google.com/lawrencekllow/Tweety] Can you guess her age? [/url]
AliciaRN

Re: photos of various stages of growth

Post by AliciaRN »

Hi,
I have three Indian ringnecks...one is a 3 year old female, one is a 2 year old male and I also have a one week old chick (as seen in picture with the female).
The chick is the only reason I happen to know that the 2 year old is male as his ring has not fully developed and based on articles, books etc. that I have read, the ring may not fully develop and darken until he reaches 3 years of age. The only way you can definitely know for sure if a bird you have is male or female is by either getting it DNA sexed or taking it to the vet who can perform a procedure to determine the sex. However, the latter is not recommended to be performed until the bird is more than 6 months old.
Attachments
One week old chick in nesting box
One week old chick in nesting box
AliciaRN

Re: photos of various stages of growth

Post by AliciaRN »

Just to clarify my comment above I have attached an image of my two mature ringnecks...the one on the left is my 3 year old female & the one on the right is my 2 old male, which as I said before I only know is male because of his display & the fact a chick hatched from one of the eggs laid.
Attachments
Female & male
Female & male