ringnecks and the vet

Moderator: Mods

Oliver and Justin

ringnecks and the vet

Post by Oliver and Justin »

How many times do you take your irn to the vet?
-Justin
Oliver and Justin

sorry correction!!!!!

How many times a year do you take your irns to the vet?
-Justin
Lene

Post by Lene »

When you first get the bird and then once a year. Also if there's a change in behaviour, change in the apperance of the poop, change in feather conditions (not including molting) and anytime you have a feeling your bird might not be well.
Cheers

Lene
julie

Post by julie »

Only when they are sick. Im not a big fan of taking my birds to a place where I know there has been sick birds, especially when they are not sick. If there was a problem with any of my birds the vet would come here.
Lene

Post by Lene »

The thing is - birds hide their illnesses so well, that by the time we notice they're ill, it's normally too late.

I have always taken my pets to the vet for vaccinations and checkups.
Cheers

Lene
Oliver and Justin

thats a good opinion lene

but i agree with julie

they can pick up stuff easly and if there arnt sick then why take them to a place where there has been tones of sick birds :?:
-Justin
Lene

Post by Lene »

For the same reason you take your kids to the doctor for a checkup.
Cheers

Lene
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I would love to take mine to the vet once a year, but I just can't afford it. Birds are expensive, and I spend all I have on them, and I don't really care if I don't have anything, as long as the birds are happy! hehe.. but I only take them when they are not looking good or I suspect an illness. Of course when you first bring home a new bird, a vet trip is best, especially if you already have other birds.
Maybe when I get another job I will take them for a check up! :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
julie

Post by julie »

I don't take Tiffany to the docs if she isn't sick either.I'm not paying $52.00 for a jelly bean.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Avian medicine has come a long way in the last few years. There is vaccines out there now for some of your deadly diseases. It's wise if your a breeder or have taken in other birds to have these birds checked and tested for various things. If you breed birds have the babies checked and tested before you sell them. I'm sorry but that's our responsibility as pet owners. It doesnt' matter what kind of bird or how much you paid for it they all deserve good medical care and not just when they are sick. Some of you just don't know what it's like to lose an entire flock from budgies to macaws just because we over looked one sick bird that really did not look or act sick at all. :(

One bad apple does spoil the whole bunch :cry:

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

I live in PEI, Canada and we don't have an avian vet here. The closest one is two provinces over. When my starling had cancer, we had to drive him four hours to Halifax to be operated on. Thankfully the rehabber we got Gigi from is very knowledgable, as is another vet that is only an hour away. But unfortunately if there was ever an emergency or something serious, it's off to Halifax we go!
julie

Post by julie »

Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

i have had Amazon since he was 7 weeks old, and now he is 18 mths old i still havent been to a vet, i will take him when i feel he needs it.

But then again i go to bird places with him adn they have experts there and they check him over to see how he is when im there, nothing has come up yet. :D
Sharlene and Amazon