leaning back with funny cry

Moderator: Mods

skibum

leaning back with funny cry

Post by skibum »

Ziggy has just started doing this in last couple of days when on my shoulder. I turn around to look at him/her and s/he tilts his/her head back a bit, opens his/her beak and makes a pathetic little baby cry.
Is this harking back to pre-weaned days?
S/he is only 10 weeks old.
S/he is eating plenty - seed, fruit, veges, toast, chicken, fish - everything!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

This sounds alot like female behaviour. :wink: A females 'cooing' can sound like a cry. Try scritching her head, does she still coo and tilt the head? She might want a scritchie. :lol:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
skibum

Post by skibum »

I will try that - Ziggy not that happy to be scratched just yet unless really tired, but then I haven't tried when doing this thing.
Has a habit of just about jumping into my mouth for a bit of vigorous tooth-picking as well, so thought they might be related.
Any excuse to try to get it used to being cuddled so will give it a go
Ta
skibum

Post by skibum »

Right, gave it a go and nup. Firm grip of my fingers by Ziggy and push away, so not after a scratch (scritchie - I need to learn these technical terms).
Only happens when resting on my shoulder (not actively running all over me chewing on stuff) and if I turn my head he/she opens beak wide and makes a little squeaky noise.
Has just gone very docile and let me scratch for a few seconds but that is all. Could it be a warning to keep away?
Isn't used to having my big ugly mug thrust into his/her face yet - although loves grabbing my teeth so that can't be it either...
got me stuffed?!? :?
Lene

Post by Lene »

Paulie does that as well... I've had him since late October and got him as a baby. I walk around all the cages and give everyone a treat. When I get to Paulie's cage, he tilts his head back, bottom up and tail down and my daughter says he sounds like a monkey.

He will not reach out and grab the treat. I need to open the door and give it to him. When I do that he needs to suffer some scratches as well. :wink:

Does this mean we can tell he's a female at this young age based on his behaviour?
Cheers

Lene
skibum

Post by skibum »

yes, well the male/female question
Ziggy has been dancing like my male Max did (at his toys etc) but only a baby so I suppose is impossible to tell.
I dunno, is a weird behaviour this thing. S/he doesn't do it in quite the way yours seems to - the head doesn't tilt back all that far and no arching of back like a female. Annoying thing is constant trying to get into my mouth and if I don't open my mouth s/he grabs my lips instead.
And if I use it as an opportunity to scratch - man! you should hear the screech/squawk!!

Damn bird climbing all over me whilst I write this - now I know how my curtains feel.....
Lene

Post by Lene »

Don't let your bird into your mouth. It contains too many bacteria (the human mouth)
Cheers

Lene
skibum

Post by skibum »

aw hell - now I feel bad!!

I will keep him away!
skibum

Post by skibum »

by the way - not complaining about the climbing - is great fun. so outgoing this one compared to Max. A real handful. Will be doing my damnedest to not let this one out of my sight!! Is now having a sleep on my shoulder.
julie

Post by julie »

Is there any head bobbing when he makes the noise? spike makes a funny little noise at me sometimes when i talk to him, it kinda sounds like you described.
Lene

Post by Lene »

No, no head bobbing... just that funny stance with the noises.
Cheers

Lene
skibum

Post by skibum »

likewise - no head bobbing. He was definitely exhibiting male dancing behaviour at one of his calcium perches this morning too - ah, but still only guesswork!
julie

Post by julie »

If they do start bobbing while they are near your mouth watch out because some birds try to feed you :shock: And im sure you would know what birds do to feed babies and their mate :o
skibum

Post by skibum »

ewwww!!
ha ha ha would soon regret that then!!! :D
Oliver and Justin

Post by Oliver and Justin »

"I dunno, is a weird behaviour this thing. S/he doesn't do it in quite the way yours seems to - the head doesn't tilt back all that far and no arching of back like a female.

exactly what oliver does

not tilitng all the way back just a lil and mine kinda makes a sound that i cant describe but i dont think its cooing

:D
-Justin