New Bird Help!!!

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

sleopowell

New Bird Help!!!

Post by sleopowell »

Hi,
We just got an irn this past Thanksgiving, his name is Peanut....was told the he's 8 months old. He's very loving to us, he steps up and gives kisses but is a bully if any of our other birds are out...he will chase them off the play gym or fly to their cage and chase them off of their cage...how can I get him to leave the other birds alone....he's clipped, but still can fly to some degree. Also, I've read that their talking birds, about when does this start to take place and is there anything that we can do to help encourage this.....thxs, new to this site, so I hope that I'm doing it right....can use all advise. The other birds we have are parakeet, nanday,cockiels and a green cheek. All other birds get along. :? :? How do you add pics?[img]javascript:void(0);[/img]javascript:void(0);
Last edited by sleopowell on Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the family

This string explains posting images:
http://indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=2773

IRN are very territorial, this will not change. Monitor their time with the other birds as an IRN will kill another (especially a smaller) bird. There have been many horror stories of lovebirds etc. being killed by IRN's. Its just their nature, they are not bad.

He should start making sounds around 8 months or so, his first audible words should be around 1 year and from then on they don't shut up, they get clearer and add more words as time goes on. (This is a generalisation). Talk all the time to him, tell him everything you are doing, this will help.

Hope this helps.

Cheers !
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

sleopowell

Post by sleopowell »

Thanks,
So glad to hear from you and your gr8 advice....I'll keep an eye on him. I can't wait until he starts to talk. He's such a beauiful bird and it didn't take long for him to make a warm spot in my heart. He acts like he's going to bite your finger off but he just steps up and gives you kisses. Everbody was afraid of him because of that behavior but now their use to it and will pick him up and socialize with him. I'm trying to put a pic with this note, but I'm still working on it, I'm new to computors when it comes to adding pics.
thxs[img] :? :? :?[img]
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Yeah ! they always test the object they are stepping up onto for security before they step up. Some take it as them going for a bite, but its usually just a security thing for them.

You got the idea with the image tags [img]**[/img] now just upload a pic to a free picture hosting site and copy the url between the tags (ie where the ** are) :wink:
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

sleopowell

Post by sleopowell »

[img][/url]
sleopowell

Post by sleopowell »

hey,
I was just wondering what kind of food that irn really like....I give peanut (my irn) fruits and veggies but having trouble knowing if he really like it or not because he throughts it out of his bowl.
I give him broc., squash, carrots, apples, grapes, bananna's etc....and today I bought some celery and parsley, is this alright for peanut to eat also.
I just tring to find out what kind of food that they love so that we might be able to work with him , to get him to do tricks for?????Any sugguestion?
thxs

p.s.
still having trouble with pics....I get all the way to the url, and it seems like I'm doing everything that I'm suppost to do but it's not showing up....even had my daughter tried to help....just ain't that smart when it comes to computors.....thank god for the typing and replying....lol
thxs