Unfertilized Eggs -- Help. I don't want to upset my hen

Moderator: Mods

shugoobs

Unfertilized Eggs -- Help. I don't want to upset my hen

Post by shugoobs »

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to the IRN world, but every time I've posted on this forum, the responses have been SO helpful that this is my go-to place when I have questions. Mine was a wild hen who adopted me a couple of years ago (we have wild flocks here in Dubai) and now lives with her pet humans. She and I have bonded tremendously, and being a newbie to this, I unfortunately didn't recognize the mating behavior until she had decided that I was her mate. About a month ago, she laid a clutch of four eggs and has been sitting on them patiently. I know that they're not fertilized because when she goes outside, it's for a quick flight around the building and then back again.

She seems so happy, sitting on her eggs. I was really hoping that she would push them out of the nest when they didn't hatch, but that hasn't happened. I'm thinking I must discard them, but I don't want to traumatize her. What's the best way to handle this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Michele
InTheAir

Re: Unfertilized Eggs -- Help. I don't want to upset my hen

Post by InTheAir »

Hi Michele,

She should lose interest in them soon... if she doesn't get bored of them on her own, she probably won't mind if they magically disappear...
best of luck to you.
shugoobs

Post by shugoobs »

Thank you so much for the advice. As long as it's not unhealthy for her, I have no problem leaving the eggs for a while longer. I'd much rather she tire of sitting on them then have them disappear.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Hens can lay twice a year and this bought on by petting below the head and on the wings and body which should be avoided, also fat and sweet food cause her to start laying, eggs hatch about 28 days when is gets bored with them she will bash holes in them and eat the yolk. it is best if you can get some dummy eggs and as soon as she lays one put 4 - 6 in her nesting area she won.t lay anymore, do not take them away before she is ready as she will lay some more, provide plenty of calcium, cuttlefish bone or broken sea shell.