Walnut tree

Moderator: Mods

Tetly

Walnut tree

Post by Tetly »

Hi everyone.

I was wondering if walnut tree branches are safe to use as perches. I have one growing in my backyard - no pesticides used on it. I've read different opinions on the internet, so I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Kind regards,
Tetly
sanjays mummi

Re: Walnut tree

Post by sanjays mummi »

You could find out on the internet by googling, I don't know, but the reason I am replying is this, are Any branches safe? From the point of view, wild birds use them, and wild birds may introduce infection. Just a thought.
Tetly

Post by Tetly »

Yes, of course there is that possibility as well. But isn't there a way to disinfect them?
And what about toxicity? I tried googling it, some websites say all walnut trees are toxic, while some that only black walnut is. Is there anyone here using it for his birds?
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

You could try to research what exactly about/part of the walnut is considered unsafe and if there is any way to minimise the risk.
Personally I'd just find a different tree.

There are a few ways to prepare branches. I let them dry out first and use f10 to clean them and rinse them in very hot water.
You can bake them in the oven if you are super paranoid about germs.
I know quite a few people who just wash them in hot water.
Tetly

Post by Tetly »

Okay, thank you for your tips. I guess I'll just find another tree for my blue feathered friend. :)