New IRN

Moderator: Mods

Billiboi

New IRN

Post by Billiboi »

Hi everyone,

I've just joined this forum recently, so I'm a new member here. :)

I've bought an IRN recently, and I named him Sugar. He is blue in colour, which is very pretty, and I was told that he is around 4.5 months of age. Unfortunately he wasn't hand reared, so he is pretty frightened when I just brought him back. He would fly off quite easily when somebody is nearly him. Apart from Sugar, I've also got 2 budgies, which have been with me for nearly 2 years already. The pair is very good by themselves, but they don't really enjoy to play with me since earlier in the days I didn't dedicate enough time to play with them :( :( . Anyway, my IRN, Sugar, really likes to stick with my budgies. On the second day at home, he climbed into their cage, and I was pretty amazed by it. Fortunately, they were very calm around each other, so no fighting or other horrible stuff. Also, when I let Sugar come outside, he'll just stay really calmly on my budgies' cage.

After a few days of Sugar staying in his new home, he is pretty used to it, however it always acts restlessly in his cage during day time as if he wants to go outside the window. He'll walk back and forth on the perch and climb on the cage sides. So, I'm just wondering if there's anything I can do to make him relax a bit and have fun in his cage. :? :?:

sanjays mummi

Re: New IRN

Post by sanjays mummi »

When Sanjay started doing this, it was because he needed a bigger cage.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi and welcome.

What size cage does he have? That is likely to influence his behaviour in the cage as Sanjaysmummy said.
What does he have to keep him busy in the cage? Browse, foraging, toys, perches? My birds have very large cages (by the standards of pet keepers anyway) but they still need to be given projects to do while they are caged.

As far as building a relationship with him, I really recommend reading this:
http://learningparrots.com/blog/trainin ... ing-trust/

It is nice for him to have your budgies for company, hopefully that helps him feel safe.
Billiboi

Post by Billiboi »

Thanks for the replies :) .

I had a pretty small cage for him before, but later on I felt the cage is definitely not enough for this buddy. So, in the last 3 days I've purchased a really big cage, which is approx. 95x70x50cm (HxWxD). I think the new cage is definitely enough for him, so probably it's because I don't have enough toy for him to play with. :? :?

Also, thanks for the website. It is very useful. :D :D
MissK

Post by MissK »

If you can take that cage back and get larger it would be good.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Just to put it in perspective, ringnecks have a wing span of up to 42 - 48cm and are built to fly miles every day. The Rspca recommends that a birds cage should be at least 3 times longer than its wingspan.