Need help!

Moderator: Mods

Jackind

Need help!

Post by Jackind »

Hey everyone,
Bought myself a bright blue Indian ringneck 2 days ago from the local pet store, I've wanted a bird for ages and decided to finally get one, I don't know a thing about how to train them apart from what I've read on the internet which is giving me mixed answers.
So I'm not entirely sure how old he is but he is a little fiesty, I can approach the cage and he just looks at me not startled at all most of the time, I've fed him a bit of apple and carrot through the cage which he kind of sucks on for a bit then drops. Whenever I put my hand in the cage he bites me, not to hard, it's bearable, this is when I am very slow with him. Up until late last night he was completely silent, didn't make a noise when putting him in the cage nor did he make any after that. But last night he started doing the high pitched noise that all of the other ones did in the store, it's not frequent, he'll do it a few times every 5 mins then stop for a while. He also climbs around his cage a lot and checks himself out in the mirror, also splashes in the water a bit. He doesn't make any noises at night and I put a sheet over his cage for when he sleeps. I feed him seeds, fruits and vegetables. My question is, what do I do next? What are the next steps I take in making my bird trust me and be able to come out and be friendly with me and other people. His living environment is nice, he has a slight breeze during the day and a full view of the backyard and can hear all the other birds, he seems relaxed most of the time I'm with him as long as I take it slow. But please help me.
MissK

Re: Need help!

Post by MissK »

#1 Stop putting the hand where he will bite it.
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

MissK wrote:#1 Stop putting the hand where he will bite it.
oh dear is someone snowed in and suffering from a little cabin fever? That was slightly less than your usual tact. :mrgreen:

Hi Jackind, as blunt as the above reply is it is also very accurate. Don't approach your bird unless it wants you too and back off at the first signs of discomfort. Don't try to force or rush making friends with your bird, good things take time!
I really recommend you look over this link and follow the advice http://learningparrots.com/blog/trainin ... l-parrots/

-Claire
MissK

Post by MissK »

No tact, huh? Well, I suppose, maybe less than could be. Sorry.

I meant to say, The first thing I would suggest is to stop putting your hand where the bird can bite it. When you are reaching in like that, it's too close for Birdie's comfort, and s/he's letting you know. In the long run (and even the short one) this is going to work against you, because it forces Birdie (in the little birdie mind) to defend itself. If you don't stop immediately, when you're getting a warning bite only, that bite may escalate and it will be harder to step down from the transgression. Right now you can probably amend your behaviour and expect Birdie to bounce back without issue, I *think*.

I do think it is important to continue to put yourself "in the cage", so to speak, so Birdie won't develop the idea that you never go in the cage and then get upset later, because you really DO have to service the cage. I would recommend instead that you let Birdie out when you have to reach in, or let Birdie get busy on the far other side of the cage with a super duper treat, while you do what you have to do. Reaching in randomly to place a treat in a cup is nice, too.

I would not be myself if I did not at least wonder about the size of the cage. If the cage is too small for the bird to be comfortable, then it may feel like a trap. Please, tell us about the cage.

About the snow - WOW!!!! It must be big news if you know about it! In truth, the snow is GORGEOUS! I *loooove* it! :o :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :lol: I have shovelled a LOT, and there is still some low level of packed snow and ice on the sidewalk I have to clear. But, my front porch and walk to the sidewalk are clear as a bell and wide open, and I took care of my elderly neighbor as well. I might feel differently, less enthusiastic, if it was a heavy or wet snow, but it's dry and easy to move. I keep on it, too, never waiting for it to get too much to handle. I definitely get a charge out of working the snow as it falls. Makes me feel extra alive and peaceful at the same time. Cabin fever? Nah. Not a bit. But I *was* pretty tired when I made that post! :mrgreen:
-MissK
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

Billie and l have this routine when l clean insde her cage she sits on the top wing and watches me intently, lf l take too long she starts to tuts as soon as the last bowl is in place she comes down quickly and pretends to bite my finger and l pretend that she has and we both have a good laugh.

You are lucky to have snow MissK all we get is rain, Jackind l would recomend you share your meal times in front of his cage, leave the cage door open, he will quickly gain confidence and may even join you!