Indian ringneck won't gain weight.. what should i do?

Moderator: Mods

Skye2k15

Indian ringneck won't gain weight.. what should i do?

Post by Skye2k15 »

Hey there so this is my first time using this site and I just hope someone can help me out!
(Sorry if posting in the wrong spot) :cry:

I bought skye my indian ringneck 2 months ago.. he was 4 months then.. I didn't check his weight then but pretty sure he was thin.. when he turned 5months I checked his weight n it was 125g that time he used to stay in cage as he was gettino used to the environment n he only ate pallets n sometimes apple.. n then at 6 months I checked his weight he was 107g.. which freaked me out!! I was giving him veges fruits pallets n nuts..
Then next day it dropped to 105g then 103g.. i took him to the vet rite away.. crying n thinking he's super sick... :cry: :cry: but when the doctor checked him they said he isn't sick but he is slim.. his dropping r watery too which the doctor checked..
She said he needs a diet change..
So I got him nutriberries and zupreem fruity pallets (which he throws across the room) he is a very picky eater.. so now I ordered roudybush pallets.. to see if he likes those.. he eats corn, peas, apple, cucumber, cheerios, bread (very lil amount), zupreem, pallets (which I got from the people who sold skye to me idk the name of the brand) on daily bases..
But his weight is still stuck at 105g.. he eats all day long.. lol n when I eat he eats with me too.. I don't give him anything which is wrong for him
He is crazy for rice... I don't give him much coz it has salt in it but doctor said I can give him but not too much.. so once a week he gets half tablespoon of cooked rice..
But y still he is thin? What am I doing wrong? I feel bad for the poor guy :(

ps. added a pic of him below :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 5.27.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 5.27.02 PM.png (28.95 KiB) Viewed 4418 times
Last edited by Skye2k15 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AJPeter

Re: Indian ringneck won't gain weight.. what should i do?

Post by AJPeter »

My Alexandrine Hen was underweight so l spoon fed her with porridge made with half fat milk and some golden syrup to fortify it, Billie loved it and before you could say "Pretty
Polly!" she had a double chin but when l cut the porridge out she soon lost weight. I do not recomend you feed your bird porridge but someone will be along shortly and tell the what is the proper thing to feed your bird.
Skye2k15

Post by Skye2k15 »

AJPeter wrote:My Alexandrine Hen was underweight so l spoon fed her with porridge made with half fat milk and some golden syrup to fortify it, Billie loved it and before you could say "Pretty
Polly!" she had a double chin but when l cut the porridge out she soon lost weight. I do not recomend you feed your bird porridge but someone will be along shortly and tell the what is the proper thing to feed your bird.

thanks AJpeter.. i never gave him any kind of porridge (thinking its called oatmeal in usa) did u give urs everyday? what if i give him oatmeal twice a week? :?:
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Don't give him milky porridge! Milk is not good for parrots!

Did you visit an avian vet?

To make pellets more attractive you can put a little fresh fruit juice (preservative free) on them. If you mix up pellets with hot water you can make a porridge with them, which many birds like. We had to squeeze passionfruit juice on our birds pellets last night as roudybush now makes pellets in Australia for Australian market and the birds don't like them!

If your bird eats a lot of corn, cucumber, apples and similar things the poops will be watery after eating as those are watery foods. If cheerios are a breakfast cereal I wouldn't feed them at all.
Skye2k15

Post by Skye2k15 »

InTheAir wrote:Don't give him milky porridge! Milk is not good for parrots!

Did you visit an avian vet?

To make pellets more attractive you can put a little fresh fruit juice (preservative free) on them. If you mix up pellets with hot water you can make a porridge with them, which many birds like. We had to squeeze passionfruit juice on our birds pellets last night as roudybush now makes pellets in Australia for Australian market and the birds don't like them!

If your bird eats a lot of corn, cucumber, apples and similar things the poops will be watery after eating as those are watery foods. If cheerios are a breakfast cereal I wouldn't feed them at all.
yes it was an avian vet.
and for preservative free juice would oranges or apple juice do the job? and ok I'm gonna try to make a porridge with the pallets he has. and see how it goes, hopefully he likes it.
oh.. well that sounds good cause his watery droppings were making me worried. and ill stop giving him cheerios. its just that i saw many people giving their parrots cheerios cereal so i thought it wouldn't hurt him.
thanks for the reply and help (:
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Fresh squeezed juice is fine, just in moderation.

Golden syrup isn't a good idea either. I recommend ignoring ajpeters advice in most instances unless you have verified that it is a good idea by researching it throughly or asking your vet.

Parrots eat unsweetened oats btw.

A lot of breakfast cereals are sweetened are fortified with vitamins and stuff for humans, a tiny bite on occasion shouldn't do too much damage but there are better things that he could be eating instead. I give my guys a couple plain oats each while I eat my breakfast, my 2 are piggies so I try to limit high energy and fatty foods!

I can't seem to paste any links, but if you read over a few posts in the "diet/housing" section there is quite a bit of info. Melika is the most clued up user on here about pet diets.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi. You say he eats all day - probably an exaggeration, :lol: But, in seriousness, Is there a good supply of food he will actually eat (you've seen him eat that exact food, not just taste it or play with it) available in morning and afternoon forage time, in particular?

I think I'm missing something on the rice discussion. I thought this was a food eaten by wild ringnecks. I Googled for the salt content, since rice is something I would not hesitate to give my birds. For any interested, here's the salt content for a cup of various foods that I found:

1mg apple, almond
2mg pear, strawberry, grape
3mg oats
6mg red sweet pepper
7mg green peas
10mg brown rice, millet
22mg barley
26mg peanut
34mg parsley
35mg kale
58mg white corn
88mg carrot
-MissK
Skye2k15

Post by Skye2k15 »

MissK wrote:Hi. You say he eats all day - probably an exaggeration, :lol: But, in seriousness, Is there a good supply of food he will actually eat (you've seen him eat that exact food, not just taste it or play with it) available in morning and afternoon forage time, in particular?

I think I'm missing something on the rice discussion. I thought this was a food eaten by wild ringnecks. I Googled for the salt content, since rice is something I would not hesitate to give my birds. For any interested, here's the salt content for a cup of various foods that I found:

1mg apple, almond
2mg pear, strawberry, grape
3mg oats
6mg red sweet pepper
7mg green peas
10mg brown rice, millet
22mg barley
26mg peanut
34mg parsley
35mg kale
58mg white corn
88mg carrot
Haha well yes not literally all day more like he eats his food and if i eat he wants some from me too.. meaning he eats a really good amount of food.
he will totally eat rice and apple.. before he also used to finish his pallets which he lost interest in. nutriberries is something he eats but yes wastes a lot of it (which i guess many parrots do) and cucumbers he will have few bites n throw it off his play stand :shock:
i gave him oranges n bananas, he will pick them up and put them aside and not eat it..
someone on instagram who has many parrots told me salt isn't good for him at all, but when i asked the vet they said not too much. so i don't wanna take a chance and give him something bad
i had parrots before in another country where they never gave them pallets etc just rice, wheat bread, fruits etc. but now i learned pallets are a big thing for them and should be given more so thats what I'm trying to give him.. i actually have to act it out that I'm eating it then he will only eat it. thats how he started eating nutriberries too.
:o :o :o
Melika

Post by Melika »

Why not try offer seed and nuts? Seeds and nuts provide many nutrients and are a good part of a well-rounded diet.

Macaws in particular often require seeds/nuts to keep their weight up. Perhaps your bird simply has a higher metabolism and needs the extra fat.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay