buying a baby

Moderator: Mods

leo

buying a baby

Post by leo »

there is baby ringneck in the market...they say it is 4 week old...but it is so bold...any advice how old is the best age to buy the IRN...im afraid i will kill the baby if it is too young.thanks
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

all the babies i have bought have been 7 weeks.
i see that as the perfect age, they are still on 2-3 hand feedings a day, and just about to wean.

make sure your breeder teaches you how to feed, and most importatly what to feed.
they are also fully feathered at this age so no need to worry about the cold (unless your having a nasty cold snap) but the temps arnt so important.

i am a little over protective, but i have 3 4week olds at the moment and i won't even let anyone touch them.
Adam and Dude
Donna

Post by Donna »

If you found a breeder that would sell an unweaned baby turn your back and run. Breeders that sell babies that are still being hand fed to someone that has never handfed a baby bird are either lazy or just looking for that all mighty dollar faster. Here in the US there are laws being passed that breeders are prohibited to sell an unweanded baby at all. There are so many things that could go wrong even with a baby that is only on 1 or 2 feedings and if the buyer is not experienced enough to see these signs the baby could die. Spend your money wisely and buy an abundantly weaned baby.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Amazonite

Post by Amazonite »

We got Amazon at 7 weeks, he was still on a couple of feeds a day we had handfed our other boy Jasper from the same age so we kinda knew what we were doing.

When we got Amazon he had Strech corp so we were happy we got him while hand feding was still going. We fixed him and he is healthy happy bird
Sharlene and Amazon
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

there seems to be a little contadiction on these boards when it comes to getting babies.

i think it was recomended to amazonite and i to get jasper before he was weaned. the breeder told us that we could get him when he was ready, but we asked to take him sooner on the advice we recived here.

life owners should be givin the oppertunity to hand feed for the bonding with the bird, not only the bird to owner, but owner to bird.
i aggree that discression should be used by the breeder on if the owner will be able to hand feed. Jaspers breeder taught us to hand feed on a different bird as it would be easier of jasper to get his feed from us as soon as he was home. we were givin strict instructions on mixing of the food he gave us, amount to feed and frequency of feeding, and if there was any problems he was on the other end of the phone 24/7.

i'm pro owner weaning, but if i don't think someone buying one of my birds is capible of weaning/hand feeding, they can come back when i'm happy to let it go.

one of my adoptors has been told it will be 6 weeks before bird will be ready (10week old bird) but she is wanting to come over and play with it once or twice a week and i will be teaching her to hand feed under my supervision so she can take him/her earlier if she chooses.
Adam and Dude
Donna

Post by Donna »

Theres no contradiction just different opinions.

Why would you let some one finish a job you started? It's your responsablity as a breeder to sell a fully weaned healthy baby. That baby is not going to bond any better with the buyer if they finish hand feeding, that's a bunch of hog wash and a poor excuse that petshops and breeders use to get that bird out the door faster.

Look at it another way! If someone was building a house for you would you want to buy it if it was only half finished? Would you take a puppy away from it's mother before it was weaned?

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

To sell an unweaned baby to an inexperienced person or newbie to birds is sending the bird on an early death sentence. So many things could go wrong. You have to have the knowledge firsthand, before hand rearing. Here, it is illegal to sell a bird before they are weaned. Or so I read at the avian vets. Whether people take note of that is a different story.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
julie

Post by julie »

I didnt realise it was illegal, I got meika unweaned, but the breeder wasnt going to let the baby go until he was sure that I would be able to look after it. He asked where I was going to be keeping it and when I said in the brooder box he said that so many people think they can just be left with the normal house temps ect.Im glad my breeder asked so many questions and I had to prove myself to him and him to me.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I'm not exactly sure of the laws. But I read something at the vets on laws with baby birds. I guess you'd have to check your state laws? I'm guessing it was more for pet shops. There are many regulations with birds. There should be more though. Breeders who ask questions are good breeders!
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
leo

hand feeding

Post by leo »

i have rise an 3 week, old love bird and 4 week tiel before, but not sure weather it goes the same method for IRN...

so, if we have a chance to hand feed the baby(may be when it need once a day) we will make a stonger bond...???????/

before all, thanks for all the advices....
guys, if i offend you in any way, please let me know....don't keep it to yourself....okay.tango is FE-male.............
Melika

Re: hand feeding

Post by Melika »

leo wrote:i have rise an 3 week, old love bird and 4 week tiel before, but not sure weather it goes the same method for IRN...

so, if we have a chance to hand feed the baby(may be when it need once a day) we will make a stonger bond...???????/

before all, thanks for all the advices....

No, handfeeding won't make your IRN bond more strongly to you. Nor does it guarantee he/she will love people. It's not really the hand-feeding that makes a bird friendly, it's the playing with and attention it recieves. So visiting your baby and exposing it to new things does the same job.

It's possible to have just as friendly a bird if it were parent raised but you played with the babies (though some birdy parents won't tolerate that).
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
leo

Post by leo »

thanks alot...