taming techniques (towel vs. slowly gaining trust)

Moderator: Mods

Victoria

taming techniques (towel vs. slowly gaining trust)

Post by Victoria »

Hey everyone,

Been reading as much as I can on this great site, but I still have some questions/concerns about our new baby, if you got a minute to give me some advice :D

Baby Phineas is VERY shy, (he was parent-raised, then handfed for a bit with a group of quakers). We have been trying tips with a shy bird, he is clipped, dropping treats after talking to him, etc. He gets to climb around on his cage and play, with us sitting next to him most of the day. However he is extremely shy of our hands, and his cage is very tall, so taking it into the bathroom to try to practice step-ups isn't really an option. Occasionally if he's startled he will fly off his cage, in which we towel him to the bathroom and work from there with his fav treats. I know it's only been two weeks, but he's still very nervous when we walk by the cage, downright petrified if you ask him to "step up", even though he will step-up alright and hang out on your shoulder in the bathroom.

So, should we abandon the towel and just go for the slow-gain of trust in the living room w/ his cage? I really hate to scare the poor baby with the towel, but it seems to be the only way we can get him to step up is to take him in the bathroom (he even took a little shower and loved it!)

Other question is that he really seems to miss other birds, he was raised with some rowdy quakers (I showed him a video of Anakin the ringneck on youtube and he was spellbound!), would getting another bird that's already tame help him realize we aren't so scary?

Sorry this is so long! thanks for reading!
Melika

Post by Melika »

Is he biting scared or just frozen?

It's hard to decide what to do as I am not you nor do I know your birdie. But here's what has worked for me:

Hang out by the cage, leave a chair by it and just sit and read- read aloud even, which might even be better for him. Or if the room is set up that way, watch tv from that spot. Eventually he'll get comfortable with you being there. You may want to cover the top and one side of his cage to make him feel more secure. It kinds gives him a corner to retreat to when he's terrified. Each time you walk by you can just say 'hey' and drop a little treat into his treat dish. If you're sitting in the chair reading and he comes over to the side of the cage, don't react to him the first few times. Predators always look at their prey, sometimes it causes a fear response in prey animals. Each time he hangs out by you or you walk by and nothing happens, the idea that you aren't scary or aren't going to hurt him is reinforced. When you come into the room (this goes for everyone) give a little vocal warning so he knows you're there.

Once you're at the point where he's not afraid of just your presence- that's when you work on hands. Now he only gets a treat from your hand- through the bars. You don't have to watch him or talk to him, just sit reading or whatever until he takes it. Chances are he'll fumble the first few times but that's okay. Keep working from there. Treats through the bars progresses to treats with your hand inside the cage. The trick is to always make him come to the treat, never bring it to him. Then your other hand simply becomes an obsticle between him and the treat and he must step up to reach the treat.

But most of that is for biting birds or for people who don't want to make their bird uncomfortable. That depends on you.

For the non-biting fear bird. A cage where you can reach every corner from the door (this is just temporary if yours is too big). Abandon the towel and just use your hand. This is going to be stressful, so make sure it's after the morning meal and your bird has eaten. You're basically going to chase your bird around his cage until he gives in a steps up (meaning he's too tired to run). Depending on how scared he is, he may be panting and will likely be pinning his pupils. Then he just sits on your hand inside his cage for ten seconds then you let him get back on a perch and leave him alone. You must remain calm and patient. Slow movements. If your IRN is just too frightened and won't sit on your hand (you be the judge) then if he lets you rest your hand next to him (not touching) for those ten seconds you've gotten one step closer to your goal.

The second variation on this is to chase him around and capture him then take him to the bathroom where you practice step-ups. One big long ladder...

I've done both of these and they both work. Just one is more stressful in a shorter period of time.

You should make outside cage time only if he comes out on our hand (or in it if you want to continue your training in the bathroom). That way he connects you with freedom.

Is he afraid of a perch if you use it to try to make him to step-up?

If not you can use a T-stick or perch and practice step-ups and slowly move your hands closer to his body until he's actually stepping up onto your fingers.

You should do whatever you're comfortable with. Your comfort level will determine his. If you're freaked out while in the bathroom or stressed, then he will be too.

Hope that helps a little. Perhaps others will weigh in?
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

I don't have much to add but I strongly believe in the slow gaining of trust, rather than forcing the bird to do things, then give them a treat. It takes as long as Phineas needs. There is no time limit. It could take weeks, months, in some cases.. years. Patience is key.

Take little steps, one at a time, like sitting by the cage and talking softly to Phineas. From there you can progress.
Sometimes another bird can help and they will learn from each other but watching them interact with you. But, this is not always the case. Also, its easier to work with one bird, establish a trust, then introduce another bird. Another step you might take later on. And thats a whole different area.
I'd work with Phineas first.

At 2 weeks, he still hasn't the confidence to 'challenge' you and once he feels comfortable with you he may not be so shy anymore, as I found out with my baby Yoda. So this is a good time to show him your not a threat.

There needs to be a healthy balance of patience and persistence.

I also started 'helping' Yoda where he wanted to go (within limits) or quickly scoop him up when he fell or didn't quite make it due to being clipped. He then understood that I am protecting him and also can be a way of travel. :lol:

Take each day as it comes, and when you feel hes ready for the next step, Phineas will be ready.

Sorry for the late reply.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year