Beak and Feather Disease

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

HappyGoLucky

Beak and Feather Disease

Post by HappyGoLucky »

Hi all. I just found out that my IRN Kenobi has tested positive for PBFD. His vet has him on Baytril to combat secondary infections. We are keeping stress to an absolute minimum. Kenobi is 10 months old. Other then the PBFD the vet says that he's in excellent health. I do have some questions though.

1. What should we expect to see with PBFD?
2. What can we do for him to give him the best quality of life?
3. Can he shed the disease?
4. Will he have a normal life span?
5. Can anyone suggest anything, anything at all, to help my poor baby?

Any help we can get is most welcome. I'm begging. If anyone knows anything about what we are dealing with I am begging you to please, please, please let me know. I love this little fellow. He's my feather baby. Thank you guys!
InTheAir

Re: Beak and Feather Disease

Post by InTheAir »

I'm so sorry!
I have no experience of the disease myself, I have done a little reading on the subject though.
It is highly contagious, so keep him away from other birds. Also ensure you shower and change your clothes before handling other parrots. Apparently the virus is still shed by birds even if they make a clinical recovery.

Do you have any idea on where he contracted it from? Please make sure you notify the owners of any parrots he or you have been in contact with if you haven't already.
Is he showing any symptoms of the disease?

As far as I know, the best you can do for him is to practice very good hygiene, feed him well, love him and keep up with whatever your avian vet suggests.

I think there is a facebook page for people with pbfd parrots, I don't have fb so I haven't checked it out, just be warned that some fb pages, groups (and other social media sites) can have incredibly bad advice so always research and/or ask your vet whether following any suggestions from the internet may be detrimental to your bird.

Regards,

Claire
AJPeter

Re: Beak and Feather Disease

Post by AJPeter »

Sorry to hear of your trouble, l read somewhere that it is advisable for the vet to check for PFBD every six months because they can shed the it. There is hope yet