Emeralds Babies

Moderator: Mods

Gemstone

Emeralds Babies

Post by Gemstone »

Hey all here is the little balls of joy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_KLc8V4wJY

damn they ugly at this age,

let me know what you think of my brooder.

amber has some babies too, but they still in the box with her.
Gemstone
Adam and Dude
Melika

Post by Melika »

You ssem to have everything in hand, the quirks of the system worked out and everything.

But I have a question for all you breeders: when I had my chicks I would always keep them covered and limit their light exposure. I figured since they are in the dark in the wild then maybe there is a reason for it, so I emulated. What are your thoughts?
Just wondering. :|
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

funny you mention that. i was thinking the same thing.

i have noticed that they sleep the moment the lights are out, so not sure if they are getting enough rest.

so you might be on to something there.
Adam and Dude
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Aw, they are so cute! Not ugly at all! When I first starting hand feeding ringnecks I must admit I could not get over how ugly they were—now I completely think the opposite. In fact, I want to take those baby ringnecks and hold them!

Looks like you are doing a fantastic job! Just be sure you start to reduce the temperature as the ringnecks feather out. I really like the way you set the brooders up! Very fascinating. When I handfeed, the babies get held for 15 minutes three times a day.

For proper socialization (as soon as the pin feathers start to come in), I’ll turn on a small radio for them, hold them throughout the day, play with them on their backs and pet them under their wings. I take towels and put all kinds of toys from my nephew and let the birds explore. Get creative with the socialization process; the more the birds are exposed to our human environment—the better set of skills they develop to interact with us humans down the road. :wink:

Also, about the lighting. I would just cover the glass with a small towel to shield the light a bit. You don’t have to do this as I believe it’s a matter of choice. I keep my babies in a dark and warm place until the pin feathers start to come in, but that’s just me. :wink:

Good luck and please keep us updated! We are all very excited for you! Congrats!

Best wishes, :wink:

Imran
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

thanks for the encouragement, this is my first season and i'm constantly checking on them and pulling them out for cuddles.

2 of them are in pin feather, and the little one is just starting to get grey wings.

it's so exciting, i'm keeping a yellow bird for my self, so i can't wait for them to be ready to come out.

although i think when it comes to selling time i wont want to.
Adam and Dude
greeny

Post by greeny »

Looks like you have given them a great set up. They are so cute. I know it will be tough when you have to sell the little cuties. I sure would have a hard time parting with them. They are adorable!