missing toes

Moderator: Mods

swanwillow

missing toes

Post by swanwillow »

Now, Mustard is missing a LOT of toes. Shes got 3 semi whole ones on one foot, and 2 on the other. I say semi, cause ones growing back, its got PART of the nail back.

is this going to effect her breeding season? I mean, will he be able to mount her without her loosing balance? What sorts of perches should I put in there to help?

When I first got them, they had just dowel perches, and she clutched the side of the cage a lot. Now they have a manzanita, a cotton rope, and a sandy type with the top smooth. She prefers the cotton during the day, the sandy during the morning (the sun hits it when it first rises) and they sleep together on the manzanita at night. (heres an edit) But when she stretches, she has to grip the side of the cage, else she looses balance.

I don't know if I'm giving her what she needs? Or should I find another female for my turq, and try to tame her up to a pet? I think she might be tamable to a certain extent. I want her to live out her days happily, if I can. But I also don't want my male sitting with nothing happening, you know?...

advice? opinions? I know it would be hard to make her into a pet from a breeder, but if thats my options with that many toes missing.. so be it.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Was she a proven breeder when you got her? I would wait until breeding season to see how she does. Missing toes or toenails don't seem to bother them much they adapted very well without them.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
tassie

Post by tassie »

hello my lutino hen joey has alot of toes missing from myna birds at her previous home and her and greeny still manage to do their thing I would wait and see what happens.
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

they were sold as bonded, not proven; she HAD laid eggs, but they were duds.

guess I'll just have to see, unless I find a 3 year old female rainbow or blue...