Stubborn Ringneck

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Ncass81

Stubborn Ringneck

Post by Ncass81 »

Hi all just need some advice or other methods, i have had my ringneck for 2 months and have been trying to build up trust with him using slow steady movements feeding him consistently and geneally spending time with him trying not to force things. he is still vary wary of hands and wont take food from my hand, any treats i have to put in his food bowl. i let him out of his cage and he sits on top of his cage, he lets me approach the cage, but as soon as he sees hands he tries to climb down the back of the cage to hide. i have a feeling the previous owners were very rough with him as we have had an issue with the wing being clipt to hard and it has caused him harm. i dont want to rush things but does anyone have any suggestions how to try and turn things around. also he is 13 months old.

TIA
AJPeter

Re: Stubborn Ringneck

Post by AJPeter »

You will have him 40 years there is plenty of time to get to know him, read the posts that will help you.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,

It can take a lot of time to build up trust! Especially if he has had some bad experiences. Having a bad clip is unlikely to make him more confident, rather the opposite really.
Does he come over to eat treats while you are still near the bowl?
Personally I have found this a very useful resource: http://learningparrots.com/blog/trainin ... ing-trust/

Does he have playstands that he can get to easily from his cage?
MissK

Post by MissK »

I believe the expectation of 40 years is overly optimistic, to say the least.
-MissK
Ncass81

Post by Ncass81 »

Thanks for the link intheair, he does eat treats from his bowl while im there, but not yet from my hand or when my hand is near. I think 40 years might be streching it, but one can only hope