Color change in the UPPER beak

Moderator: Mods

Knitta

Color change in the UPPER beak

Post by Knitta »

Hello!

My 19-year-old, Kali, is healthy and happy, but over the last couple of years the upper part of her beak has grown increasingly black. It's really ramped up over the last 6 months or so. I've asked a vet about it while taking her in for a health check, and they'd never heard of the upper beak changing color and just chalked it up to aging. Like I said, otherwise, she's acting completely normal! A google search didn't turn up anything, either, other than a lot of disturbing beak-disease photos. :cry:

Has anyone seen this before? Thanks!

MissK

Re: Color change in the UPPER beak

Post by MissK »

I don't know the answer. I just inspected the beaks of my birds, 13 and 17, and found them to be completely bright red. I follow this thread with interest, though, to be informed if I can expect any changes in the coming years.
-MissK
Willow2112

Post by Willow2112 »

One of our Ringnecks is going through the same thing. It has been going on for the last year. The Avian vet we take her to said it is normal pigment in her beak. I can't figure out how to post a picture or I would show you. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Knitta

Post by Knitta »

Thank you! That's helpful! (And it took me forever to figure out how to post pics too! I think you have to first put them on Flickr or something like that, then post the shared URL from it.) :lol:
Willow2112

Post by Willow2112 »

Willow2112

Post by Willow2112 »

It worked, Anyway Emily was a rehome so her age is unknown.