Newbie here

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

valcoff

Newbie here

Post by valcoff »

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I am in SE Qldin the Lockyer Valley. I have had IR's for some years now and I am learning something new every day.
I am, by no means, an expert with birds. I prefer my birds sometimes to people. :)
I have mostly Olive Ringnecks. I have a pair of birds breeding really well. The boy is an olive named Ollie. His mate is a yellow I named her Polly. How original am I? They have hatched their second brood this year. One set last year as well. They favour his colouring.
I also have a grey girl who strayed in about 3 yrs ago. She was not tame and I put her in a cage on her own as she can't live with any other bird. I even bought a rainbow boy for her and he lasted less than 24hrs. I didn't introduce them properly so it was my fault.
After she was on her own she changed. I can do anything with her. It started as simply as talking to her and hand feeding her at times. One problem is she is besotted with me.
I have been looking at this forum and I like what I see very much. I am not new to forums and this looks AOK. I am in my 60's.
Looking forward to being a regular here.
Sorry if I am long winded.
Val
MissK

Re: Newbie here

Post by MissK »

Hi Val,
Welcome. You'll have to try harder if you want to me more long-winded than me! :lol:
I look forward to hearing how you do with your flock and what you have to share with us.
-MissK
valcoff

Re: Newbie here

Post by valcoff »

My bird population is: Mum and dad, as in previous post,
2 olive from 2 yrs ago, 1 male 1 female.
2 from over a year ago. I think they may be a pair. I sold one there was 3.
I have the grey girl, had her now for about 4 yrs.
I now have 4 babies who wont come out of the nest. I don't think she is feeding them as two came out and went back in. I am going to hand feed them. They had empty crops yesterday and this morning. Mum and dad stay out on the perch at night. I think they expect them to all come out now as they are feathered by 90% to fully. I have egg and biscuit mix but will get some sweet potato and fruit today.
I hope I am going to do this right as I weaned the other three. They are doing ok.
I had a Sulphur crest that had beak and feather disease. I had him for 15 yrs, he was wild when caught and almost dead. He was covered in ticks and lice. The lady who found him took him to the vet and fixed him up then gave him to me. He lived on a parrot mix topped up with toast/vegemite, bread/mashed potato, cooked chips off the OH's plate, and took only six months to tame by the way. His name was Charlie brown as he only had 2 yellow feathers on his head. His feather coverage improved a fair bit but the main feathers didn't, just his unders. He passed away a few months ago. He did learn to say his name.
I also have cockatiels who are sitting again for the second time this year.