Only one egg

Moderator: Mods

Pringle Bird

Only one egg

Post by Pringle Bird »

Hi,

Could you please tell me if it is normal for my pair to only lay one egg. This is there first time breeding, and i was told that they only incubate after the 3rd egg. Does this mean that she wont incubete it. She is turning it and sitting on it. When i checked the egg it was warm so i know that she has been sitting on it.

thanks in advance
julie

Post by julie »

When did she lay the first egg?? most breeders dont check them everyday so she may lay more in the next week or so.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Breeding is not alawys set in stone and no two breeding pairs are alike. Since this is their first year breeding this egg may just be a fluke and it may turn out to be infertile. When was the first egg laid? If she is a young breeder you may only get 1 or 2 eggs the first time. Also don't be checking the box to much you may be disturbing her and making her to nervous to lay.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Pringle Bird

Post by Pringle Bird »

Hi,

This is her first time breeding and she is 4 years old and her mate is either 2 or 3.

I have seen them mating for the last 5 weeks, so i know that they are mating. Also how do you candle the eggs
Donna

Post by Donna »

you can candle the eggs about 7 to 10 days after the last egg. You can use a flsh light in a dark room and holding the egg up to the light you want to see red vains running through the egg, this means it is fertile. you also want to keep the humidity at about 60 to 70% while the chick is developing inside the egg.

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Pringle Bird

Post by Pringle Bird »

How do u check the humidity, I was told you dont have to worry about it.
Donna

Post by Donna »

Depends if you have a outside aviary or inside. A hydrometer measures the humidity in the breeding room. Humidity plays a big part in the development of the egg and the hatching process. It is important!

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Pringle Bird

Post by Pringle Bird »

WE have our avary on our back deck on our two story house.

we live in queensland, australia.
Donna

Post by Donna »

You are very lucky to live in a place that you can keep breeding birds outside. A natural habitat is always better but I don't have that here in Michigan so I have to create the perfect environment.

Good luck with your breeding!!

Donna
In Loving Memory

I miss you both
Jay

Post by Jay »

Pringle Bird wrote:How do u check the humidity, I was told you dont have to worry about it.

While a high humidity is supposed to be conducive to breeding, it is really tough to manipulate it in outside aviaries. Hence, I don't even worry about it and neither should you since most winter/spring humidities in Australia is over 70% anyway.

The winter/spring humidities in my locale range from 50% to 90% and my breeders do just fine under these conditions.

Hope that helps.