Mutation question

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Feathered Gems

Mutation question

Post by Feathered Gems »

Hello and thank you for letting me join. I have a female irn that was sold to me as a cobalt, but have had several people tell me its a normal blue. I really don't mind either way but would like to know before I pair her up. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks.
Attachments
2015-09-19_12.13.59.jpg
Wessel Gordon

Re: Mutation question

Post by Wessel Gordon »

I am not a mutation expert at all but this bird looks like a normal blue although the head in this photo looks a bit lighter than the body color which isn't consistent with ''normal'' blues I've seen. The difference might just be the lighting.

As for pairing her up: the question would be is which mutation you are hoping to achieve through the pairing. That's a question only you can answer and might be limited by the number of males at your disposal.

The other thing to keep in mind is this bird or the one you pair her with might be split for another mutation so if you are serious about breeding it's worth the effort and time to research her parents and her partner's parents genetic background for at least a couple of generations...if at all possible.