cinnamon cleartail

Moderator: Mods

pambos

cinnamon cleartail

Post by pambos »

Hi,
this spring one of my IRN pairs had their first succesful clutch and i believe they produced a cleartail fallow bird. The pair is a visual normal green cock x visual silver hen (cinnamon blue sf grey). The four offspring were a sf grey-green, a cinnamon, a lutino and a strange coloured bird. All birds were taken for handfeeding and unfortunately the strange bird died before it reached three months. Since it's impossible to have pallid and lutino birds in the same clutch from a green father and a silver mother, i believe it's a cleartail. Below i posted some pictures of the bird at different stages as it grew up and a picture of the parents. Please help me identify the mutation.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Here you can see the cinnamon gene. Notice that only the back central tail feathers are affected, sign of a cleartail, but instead of being body coloured they have this beautiful light grey colouration.
Here you can see the cinnamon gene. Notice that only the back central tail feathers are affected, sign of a cleartail, but instead of being body coloured they have this beautiful light grey colouration.
20150501_122318.jpg
20150501_122308.jpg
20150420_113616.jpg
The eyes were dark red but not as bright as the lutino's.
The eyes were dark red but not as bright as the lutino's.
20150420_113552.jpg
As every cleartail, the clearness is at some point continued under the wing area. The feet and nails were lighter than it's siblings, except the lutino's.
As every cleartail, the clearness is at some point continued under the wing area. The feet and nails were lighter than it's siblings, except the lutino's.
20150112_145526.jpg
20150501_122228.jpg
Here you can see the cleartail effect on the lower body and the progressive but slow clearness on the head that started developing from the area around the eyes. Unfortunately the bird died a few days after this picture, so this is the last picture i have..
Here you can see the cleartail effect on the lower body and the progressive but slow clearness on the head that started developing from the area around the eyes. Unfortunately the bird died a few days after this picture, so this is the last picture i have..
Snapchat-6686615716793281519.jpg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 4180 times
Last edited by pambos on Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kappa

Re: cleartail sf grey

Post by Kappa »

Pambos,

It would be a good idea to try and trace the genetic heritage of the cock and the hen. This will help you answer the questions you have regarding your breeding results. Based on the information you have supplied we can establish that the cock is split Cinnamon and ino. For the chick to be a Cleartail both parents would also need to be split for Cleartail.

It's a pity the chick died, as some photos at a older age, and perhaps a comparison with an actual Cleartail chick would have made identification much easier.

From the photos you have, the chick does seem to have the right markers for a Cleartail, except it doesn't carry the grey mutation. If it did it would be a more mustard ( golden olive) coloured bird as it is a cinnamon. My guess would be that you had a cinnamon green Cleartail.

Hopefully you can reproduced this result in the future with a better outcome. Good luck.
Mikesringnecks

Post by Mikesringnecks »

It has Green Cleartail markers but the feet look odd to my eye. I expect pink feet in Cleartail chicks and its feet don't look pink to me. Pity it died, it would have been interesting to see it develop.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Definately not Grey. Looks Cinnamon Green- unsure if also CT- pity it died
pambos

Re: cinnamon cleartail

Post by pambos »

It's impossible to trace the genetic heritage of the parents since they were both imported. I agree that the bird was not grey and was actually a cinnamon. I believe it was a fallow, because of the eye's colour but seems that the only way we can be sure is by reproducing the bird next season.