Molting forever!

Moderator: Mods

Paws_and_Claws

Molting forever!

Post by Paws_and_Claws »

Hey guys, I need some help. Rocket is just about 2 years old and I feel like he has been molting forever. I'm pretty sure he has been molting for at least five months now. He looks super ratty. Its not feather plucking because he just lost every off the top of his head and his pin feathers are coming back in. Also, he used to be bright blue but the new feathers are coming in much duller and grey.

Is any of this normal? He is my first "big" bird (not parakeet). Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Wessel Gordon

Re: Molting forever!

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Could you perhaps share a picture of him?

It might make giving advice from our more experienced members easier.

Wessel
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,

Have you taken him to your avian vet for a check up?
MissK

Post by MissK »

I wonder if he's getting too much light. Can you make sure his day length is not being extended by artificial light? Molting in adult birds is influenced by light/day length. Continuous molting probably also places an extra burden on his body, so please make sure his diet is top notch. Consult your vet on what type of nutrition is in demand to support molting. Whatever birds use internally to make feathers is probably depleted by now. You should also have the bird and his feathers examined to rule out disease.
-MissK