why my tamed 1 year old ringneck is running away

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Jagger

why my tamed 1 year old ringneck is running away

Post by Jagger »

I hand raised my ringneck and for the first 15 months was very tame and learned to do many tricks and was quick to step up on my finger and give kisses. Now suddenly after over a year will not come on my finger anymore and will run away even when I try and take him out of his cage he seems scared and will not come to me. Can anybody help? What's going on? What happened?
InTheAir

Re: why my tamed 1 year old ringneck is running away

Post by InTheAir »

Hi,

I can't tell you what has happened, but I can give you a few suggestions to try.
First, you could take your bird for a check up at your avian vet to ensure there is no medical reasons for this sudden change.

If you live with other people, find out if they might have done anything that may upset your bird. I was talking to a lady the other day who found that her housemate had been hitting the cage to try to get the bird to be quiet, that is a pretty drastic example and I'm sure not many people would be that cruel. Ringnecks can be very sensitive to things that scare them, even though some of those things aren't what we expect them to be scared of. One of our birds was very scared of brooms when we got him, so sweeping near his cage would have scared him.

Have you been doing anything he doesn't like? Our more "sensitive" ringneck needed iodine on a cut on his foot last year and he didn't like it. He started avoiding us for a few weeks after the medicine was finished if it looked like we were going to do anything to his foot. He still gets wary when he sees cue-tips and the iodine bottle together, even when I am using them on myself!

Do you reward him for approaching you and stepping up? Will he still do tricks for you?