how long after mating do eggs come?

Moderator: Mods

julie

how long after mating do eggs come?

Post by julie »

Just wondering because my grey and pastel blue have been mating, even thou they didnt have the box in at the time.
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Usually if they are mating the female will begin to work the nest, once you see that the female goes into the nesting box regularly you can probably assume this is what she is doing, then it should be around 3 weeks, and then an egg every other day until they have between 3 - 7 eggs approx. Once she has a clutch she will rarely emerge, you will even see the male go to feed her on occassion.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

Thanks for that, he feeds her everyday even when they didnt have the nesting box in. I put the box in the aviary on sunday the 29th and she was in it on 30th. I was a bit worried that she was going to have eggs even if the box wasnt there.
Jay

Post by Jay »

Nice going with your pair Julie. I second what Angie said.

Additionally, next year, try to put the nesting box earlier in the breeding season to get the pair ample time to prepare their nest/nesting material to suit their fancy.

How much and what type of nesting material did you provide?
julie

Post by julie »

Sorry I havent replied sooner, I temporarely (i hope) work 7 nights so I havent been on much.
I couldnt put a box in early because they were living in my dining room until we got our new aviary ordered in.I put the stuff that is used for pet bedding (mouse, rat, guinea pigs ect ) in and I put it just enough for her to be able to scratch around in without hitting the bottom and so she can still get out of the box. I had a look in the box and she has made a little nest in there that looks quite cosy. If she is still coming in and out I will take a photo of the stuff in the box.
Donna

Post by Donna »

julie wrote:I put the stuff that is used for pet bedding (mouse, rat, guinea pigs ect ).

Julie it's not cedar wood shavings is it? It gives off an oder that's not good for birds. Safest is to use Aspen wood shavings (no oder)

Donna :D
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
mattyboardman

Post by mattyboardman »

i use garden composs out of a big bag and it keep the heat in well the baby birds i have at the moment are warm inside there box and have been for a few weeks the oldiest ( i think ) came out into the cage today with its father was fun to watch !

i think they eggs came around a week after mine mated but doesnt it depend if its the right time of the year for eggs to come?
i may be wrong tho !
R.I.P Baby 05 / 09 / 2007 You Will Be Missed !
swanwillow

Post by swanwillow »

when IS the right time of year to put on nestboxes?

In the southern hemisphere, its now.. northern hemisphere, I thought nov/december.. right?

I'm wondering because the breeder I got my breeder birds from has eggs and babies right NOW, and I thought it was the wrong time of year... :shock:
julie

Post by julie »

its pine shaving, I hope thats ok to use :?:
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

my breeder friend gave me pine shavings, but said its good to put a little peat moss or potting mix in with it to moisten it up, regurlar spray baths or a dish for them to bath in will also have her take moisture into the nest with her.

It's amaziing, I had put the same nesting material in this time as last year and there seemed to be no activity at all, no interest, as soon as Erik gave me the pine shavings and peat moss to put in, that night, i hear mickey beconing Kai with her squeaks and she is in and out working the box, strange fussy little creatures.

Billy and bell are still in and out building theirs and very ! protective of it too. Billy marches around on the verandah and will pop his head in and out and in and out, growling if any other bird comes anywhere near the cage. lol
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Jay

Post by Jay »

I agree with Donna. No cedar shavings as the by-products could be toxic. Pine is okay. I've had good success with that material in the past. Like Donna, I currently lean towards Aspen shavings because they are odorless, non-toxic, and very absorbent. They tend to be fibrous and stringy in texture so when ingested by babies, I haven't noticed any ill effects.

Many Aussie breeders use peet moss and compost and have good success with it. One can't argue if the breeding results are good.

@Swanwillow
Some breeders use artificial lighting and climate control to breed year-round, but that would obviously have to be in indoor aviaries. In outside aviaries, it is highly unlikely for IRNs to breed in the middle of summer due to the extreme heat, stress due to moulting, uninterested mates, etc.
I kinda notice that IRNs wanna get busy when the weather is cold, gloomy, raining, and Marvin Gaye is playing on the CD.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

<action> runs out to buy a marvin gaye CD
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

We didnt need any music, when I come home from work at 12:30 am the grey male would get a bit cheeky with the female, it was almost like he was trying to impress me by feeding her and dancing at her.
julie

Post by julie »

I put peat moss in the box aswell as the shavings and she has chucked the whole lot out of the box.
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

:cry: gosh they are all so different aren't they. My mickey is in the box more now than out .. so fingers crossed its under way.
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless