Hi from Australia - Getting a male Alexandrine

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Lene

Hi from Australia - Getting a male Alexandrine

Post by Lene »

Hi there

I just joined this forum. I'm getting a male Alexandrine, and would like to know more about them.

I have read a lot on the net, before I decided on one, but a forum such as this is better, I think.

He could be a long time coming, because the egg isn't laid, yet. The breeder reckons he'll be ready in October/November.

I have been invited to participate in the handfeeding at her place, which I'm really looking forward to.

I would like to have everything ready for him, when he gets home, and wondered if you would tell me how big/strong a cage, he'll need.

I already have the following birds:

Duke - Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Sun Conure
Shrek - Quaker
Teeko - Cockatiel
Sam - Cockatiel - boarded here for behavioural issues
Billy - Budgie

Cheers

Lene :)
Cheers

Lene
Donna

Post by Donna »

LOL.. Counting your chickens before they hatch :D Welcome to the board!!

That's great the breeder is including you through the whole process, my hats off to her/him.
Alexandrines are great birds and a little more laid back then your ringnecks. Your doing your homework on them first and that's headed in the right direction. You already have a nice flock and an Alex. will be a great addition.

The cage size should be as big as your wallet allows (I prefer stainless steel) but that's me. The sturdiness of the metal and the bar spacing is very important too, I think an inch bar spacing will be to large.

Donna
In Loving Memory
of one special husband and one special bird.

I miss you both
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:D Welcome to the family here. You have quite a flock there! We love all birdies. Its wonderful your researching before bringing your baby home. :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Lene

Post by Lene »

The breeder has 3 breeding pairs of pure Alexandrines, like they haven't been crossed with the IRN for mutations.

Hopefully out of the 3 pairs, she'll get a male. It'll be surgically sexed, and handfed until weaned.
Cheers

Lene
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Welcome to the clan, so excited for you. Keep in touch with how things go and can't wait to see pics of your baby :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Lene

Post by Lene »

Hello again...

Well, I never did get an Alex :(

A few days later, a man contacted me about a Corella (BE2), he needed to rehome. He came to my place with the bird, so I could meet him, and I agreed to take him in. He had only had him for 4 months (impulse purchase) and he came with 2 brand new cages and playgym, plus lots of foods and toys. I wondered if I ever would be able to love him, those eyes freaked me out... lol... My apprehension didn't last long.... he's the most gorgeous, funny, gentle bird I've ever met. I named him Cory.

Then, in late October, I went to a large petshop to buy stuff for the birds, and a little green IRN followed me home - Honestly! :roll:

I named him Paulie, and went and got yet another large cage. Paulie was 8 weeks old, and still needed to be handfed, which I'd never done before. They sold me babyfood and a syringe. What a mess! Just when he was ready, mouth open, syringe in place, he'd turn his head and food sprayed all over his body. I gave up on the syringe feeding, and tried everything else, including my keys. Then I went and bought a hand feeding spoon, and that was easy. .. :D

Paulie still likes to be hand fed every so often - 3-4 times a week.

He started biting about a week ago, drawing blood... I was amazed, since he can hardly crack open a seed :lol:

He bit me on my thumb and on the face... the other times he didn't draw blood.

The last 3 days he has not bitten me or even suggested that he wanted to.

He's so different from my other birds. He's not afraid of anything, and he'll eat everything.

I'm hoping he's a boy, as I'm a sucker for beauty. Not that he's not beautiful, but I love the ring.
Cheers

Lene
Melika

Post by Melika »

LOL! Welcome the board, again, but this time with your IRN. ^_^

Not afraid of anything, will eat anything. Sounds like a typical Ringneck to me. :D
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

:lol: Hello again and hello to Cory and Paulie! :D
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year