Cereal Bars

Moderator: Mods

donnanorm

Cereal Bars

Post by donnanorm »

Just enquireing if the cereal bars you purchase from food stores are suitable for our IRNs,We have decided on naming our baby Gizmo,We are new to owning a pet bird so this site helps greatly with anything we are unsure about.He/she is a right little charactor and I cant wait for the time till he/she is able to sit on my hand,let the training begin :)

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

The bars from the store would contain way too much sugar, salt and preservatives, I would stick to making your own or purchasing those made particuarly for birds, from pet stores or feed barns.

What a great name, Gizmo. My nephew had an IRN that he lost to a sad accident and it was named Gizmo.

Look forward to hearing about you guys learning and bonding with each other :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

I occasionaly let indie have some of my nutbars, they are nuts held together by honey.
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

so much store stuff id like to give them, but again, i think of the sugars and salts, as birds cannot excrete salt as easily as we can, so ive started makin my own birdie muffins
just throw a bunch of things the fids like together like fruits n vegies, mix it all up with some cereals, muesli etc, an egg or 2 + shells, mush and bake for 10-15mins. i usually go with carrot, peas, corn (if u use tinned stuff, throw a few spoons of juice from each can in too), dried fruit, crushed up nuts (macadamias, peanuts and almonds) with cereals like saltana bran and weetbix to kind of hold them together.
i make a dozen or so at a time, freeze them, and microwave for a hot, quick meal for the kids. i have once mushed a fruit bar thing through them, but i figured as it would be mixed through a large batch, it would 'spread' out the not so good ingredients amongst the more healthy things ive added.
they seem to love them, baby refuses to share hers, so they have to get one each, or i make larger ones, and break in 1/2
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

sounds great ambros1a thanks for sharing that :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

im ust remember that sounds yummy Amazon and our breeding birds may like to try that one day
Adam and Dude
donnanorm

thanks

Post by donnanorm »

Thanks again,I would of thought too much sugar etc but i thought id ask just too see,thanks all for replys

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Just to be safe, Id make your own. :D

Emma, that sounds Yum! Thanx for shareing. We should have a recipe section. I'm sure some of us are very creative in the kitchen. Not me, I don't like cooking but I've have tried making a few things for the fids. lol. :oops:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year