indian ringneck bred with african ringneck?

Moderator: Mods

Pounamu

indian ringneck bred with african ringneck?

Post by Pounamu »

Hi, just wondering if an indian ringneck would naturaly breed with an african ringneck while kept in an avariy together. The reason i ask is i was thinking is that where the little bit of black on an indian ringnecks beak comes from (because an african ringneck has a black beak)? or is it just natural for indian ringnecks beak to be not completly red (with a little bit of black)?
Jay

Post by Jay »

Indian Ringnecks will indeed interbreed with African Ringnecks. But the reason why there is black coloration (traces of melanin) on the beaks (mandibles) of some IRNs is not because of hybridization with the ARNs but rather because each sub-species has their unique assortment of genes that give them their unique appearance. An inheritable secondary melanistic modifier gene is most likely the reason why the full-melanin types of IRNs (Green, Blue, Turquoise, Violet, Cobalt, Grey, etc) will have predominantly black lower mandible and areas of black on the upper mandible.

On albinistic mutations (Lutino, Albino, Creamino, Pallids, Cinnamons, etc) the lower mandibles are either orange or red without the presence of spots or black colorations on both upper and lower mandibles.

On the picture below, notice that the normal melanin birds (Green and Blue) have black colorations on their beaks coupled with dark feet, dark eyes, and black toenails. On the other hand, the albinistic birds (Beige and Yellow birds) have no black coloration on the beak to go along with the pink feet, clear toenails, and red eyes...

Hope that helps.
Pounamu

Post by Pounamu »

Yup that helps alot.. cheers DDP
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Aww! Babies! :D Sorry I'll contain myself.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Sigh! Don't you love it when he talks like that Image
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless