Keeping warm outside.

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

Gemstone

Keeping warm outside.

Post by Gemstone »

Hey all

We have 9 birds outside, we lost one last night i think because it got too cold.
i have bought the other budgie inside for the night as it was shivering when i sent out at 9pm

these birds are basically out of the next box, and very young, hence why i think the cold got one of them.

we don't have nest boxes in the aviaries yet, but i'm woundering if there are other things i could put in to help keep the birds warm.
Adam and Dude
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Sorry to hear about that.. I thnk I would put nesting boxes in as soon as possible.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Jay

Post by Jay »

How low does the temperature go? Some species of parrots are less resilient to cold compared to others. My acclimatized IRNs survive subzero temperature as proven by the recent cold spell in California. Temperatures dipped as low as 25 deg F or roughly -4 deg Celsius.

Even if you hang nest boxes, some birds are not smart enough to seek shelter within the nests and chose to cling to the corners of the cages. So for non-acclimatized parrots, you may want to hang heating lamps or install tarps around the cages to protect the birds from ambient and cold drafts.

Most fertilized eggs don't make it through subzero temperatures so some breeders actually don't hang nest boxes until it gets a little warmer. This is to discourage IRNs from laying eggs because the chicks within the eggs will die anyway.
Gemstone

Post by Gemstone »

the IRN's are fine.
they are tough little buggers, i got them from an area that has -5c frosts on a regular basis during winter.

but the little guys (budgies and tiels) are the problem ones.
the tiels seem to be copeing well.
would a box (cardboard) with a blanket entice them to seek shelter?
or is that wishfull thinking?
Adam and Dude
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

They sure are tough in the weather but unfortunately some dont make it. So sorry to hear of your loss.

My worry would be too much heat. Last summer was hard on my fids. But it does get cold here. But not that cold! Ouch.

I'd make somewhere for them to hide from the cold drafts/winds and cover the avairy. Make it an enticing place to go maybe with some food near the hideout/nest box?

I hope the lil guys warm up soon for you.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year