TIME FOR BREEDING BOX

Moderator: Mods

Pringle Bird

TIME FOR BREEDING BOX

Post by Pringle Bird »

Hi,

IS this when it is time to put in a nest box, i know that it is a bit earliy in austraila ( im in QLD) but is it time for a nest box?

Today my pairs where "kissing" and they one was doing this wierd thing with its neck, pushing it back and stuff. I dont know if it was the boy or girl becuase they are same coulour. This is their first year together and I havent breed yet.

THanks In Advance
Jay

Post by Jay »

Go ahead and hang a nest. Outside the cage if possible. Make it available if by chance they want to breed early. Like I always say, the mechanics of IRN breeding is not carved in stone. They may breed early, they may not. Still, I see no harm in hanging a nest box early.

I personally use 12" x 12" by 24" nest boxes. Some breeders have success with smaller, shallower boxes. I don't. My birds feel secure and happy with the deep ones. They don't dig as much on the nesting material and don't scratch the bottom of the box. I did try a cockatiel nest box once (12" deep) but the hen ate through the bottom of the nest box in her attempt to get deeper.