New guy with an unusual question

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Howlnsound

New guy with an unusual question

Post by Howlnsound »

Hello everyone , my name is Kevin from Buffalo, New York. I am the Proud owner of A wonderful "blue " Ringneck who is about 11 months old. I am a manager at a local pet store here in Buffalo that speciallizes a few different types of animals including birds. We hand raise all our medium and larger birds from about a few days old till they are ready to go home when they are on solid food and perching well. It has been said that we have the best baby birds in the area.
Anyways, I'm not trying to praise the store I'm here for some info and to share my enjoyment with others who love their fids.
I've been hovering around a few months reading the threads and got a lot of info from all of you. But I can't find an answer to this question so maybe someone can help and answer it:
My little one, my son helped name Diego, whom I helped raise from about a week old until I took him home, I believe, is a blue ringneck. I am not sure if male or female yet ( don't really care ) but I see traits from both ends. He clucks and spreads his wings like a female but I see a dark ring around his neck forming ( slight ) and he dances around like I hear a male does. I figure I'll know for sure in about another year but I toy with the dna test idea from time to time.
He was born in May last year and when his feathers all came in he was a beautiful blue. Then after his first molt around October, He started getting a more green feather color around his head and along his back. His wings, tail and underside are still all blue and under the green feathers is blue.
My question is : Has anyone ever gone through this color change? Or heard of it? Will he continue to become green or will he go back to blue? Or is he possibly a new mutation? I don't realy care what color he is or what sex I just like having as much info on the things I love that I can find. And I want to make sure his name fits.
He has a good cage, with plenty of toys he beats the snot out of.
His diet consists of L&M bonanza, Zupreem Hot & Spicy, Lafeebers Pellets all mixed well. Treats include nutraberrys and sunflower seeds for training.
He will not take fresh fruit or veggies I don't know why any suggestions would be appreciated.
I do not have any UV light on him as of yet but plan to in the future.
He has just started trying to talk and is expanding his whistling and singing. He loves to bark at the dogs and get them rialed up.
Since I think this is long enough I'll let it be at that.
Any help and info would be a great help and Thanks Very much.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

Welcome! Sounds like Peanut's fid, color wise. Search out the photos of how he has progressed, sounds like your baby may be the same variant
MCS
Jay

Post by Jay »

Hello and welcome Kevin,

Do you have a picture of Diego? Sounds to me like your IRN is a Turquoiseblue. A Turquoiseblue, as the name implies, is a combination of the Blue and Turquoise mutations. The feather color will vary from Bluish to Greenish to Turquoise when they are born. The are known to change feather coloration after each moult especially the first two moults.

Turquoiseblues are one of my favorite. They combine beautifully with almost all mutations. Matter of fact, of hand I can't think of any mutation more versatile than Turquoiseblue. Combinations with Cleartail, Lacewing and the Violet mutations make stunning secondary colors. Even the "dreaded" Ino will combine well with Turquoiseblues to make eye-catching Creaminos.

As for the neck rings, even females get the shadowy dark ring especially in the Blue series of birds (i.e. Grey, Blue, Turquoise) but only males get the solid Black and/or White and/or Reddish neck rings when they mature.

Some outfits nowadays only charge $20 for DNA sexing. I think it is worth the investment if you plan to breed it in the future.

To get it to eat veggies and fruit, try feeding nothing but veggies and fruit in the morning. Then give it its favorite foods later in the afternoon just so it won't starve overnight. This technique works well for me when I try to transition seed-spoiled IRNs into a pellet and veggie diet.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Welcome to the flock Kevin and Diego. Yes please do you have a pic? Sounds like a beautiful bird.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Howlnsound

Post by Howlnsound »

Hello, and thank you for the quick reply. I thought he was a cross between the blue and turquoise but the green threw me. Ill try the suggestions about the fruits and veggies, but I don't know if it will work. at least I know he eats a good diet so I am not to worried about it.
If anyone can tell me how to post pics I would love to, he is so cute, and chattering away.
Thank you again for all the help I hope to return the favor some day.