The Sunny Dance

Moderator: Mods

chick

The Sunny Dance

Post by chick »

Some of you may have already stumbled across this video on YouTube, but here it is again if you haven't seen it. It's Sunny, our school bird, doing his dance. Apparently he's trying to feed me or my watch. Whatever he's doing, it cracks me up every time. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f9ctzlpoM8
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

He's an amazing boy .. so beautiful I just adore the latino males, so bright the yellow almost seems to glow .. so much like my Jordan.

Yep its male behaviour, and yes he is regurgitating wanting to feed you. He likes you alot.

Does he talk yet ?
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

chick

Post by chick »

No he doesn't talk yet. He just does cat call whistles. I keep telling him to "gimme kisses" hoping he'll repeat it back, but nothing yet. It's funny, when I repeat it over and over, he'll hold really still and look at me intently. Like he's trying to figure out what I'm saying. Maybe he's putting it together in his head, getting ready to say it back. :)

The best estimate is that he's about 5 years old. Can they still learn when they're that old? Or is that something they need to start doing when they are really young?
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

From what I have heard they learn most of their words up to the age of 5, its not impossible for an older bird to pick up words just harder (anybody - please correct me if i am wrong, just what I heard and read), but I would just keep being really vocal with him anyway, they love interacting and calling each other and you are now part of his life he will love to hear you too.

Just tell him everything you are doing, step up , come here, good boy, love you , kiss kiss, want a treat, etc. etc. and start whistling a good tune, they pick up whistling way faster than anything. But make it a tune you will want to hear, maybe the school theme song ? anyway .. enjoy :D

If he is the schools bird, how long do you think it will be before you get a handraised baby of your own :wink: :P
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

chick

Post by chick »

kyria wrote:If he is the schools bird, how long do you think it will be before you get a handraised baby of your own :wink: :P

I've actually been trying to figure out how I'm going to convince the school to let me adopt him. :D

All of our animals have to be fostered by the students over the summer and I really want to take him, but I have one little problem...cats. I have 4 of them and I'm not sure how they would react to each other. I'm still mulling it over to figure out if it's a possiblity.

Anybody else have cats and birds? If so, how do they get along? And how do you go about introducing them to each other?
kyria
Site Admin

Post by kyria »

Me personally, I would never trust a cat around my bird. No matter how well you may be able to introduce them. Not sure the school would take the risk letting you either. Not meaning to sound hard here, just my humble opinion.

:wink:
Angie
---------
-----------
God Bless

Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Yep, typical male 'feeding' behaviour.

I agree, would never trust a dog or cat around the birds. But there is plenty of people who have dogs, cats and birds. Just a matter of being EXTRA cautious.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Hestia

Post by Hestia »

I have a cat, the cat is good about being around Indie, and Indie is NEVER out of the cage unsupervised alone with the cat. Indie will actually tease the cat and my little dog. I also have a couple of dogs, that to me are more of an issue than the cat. Big dogs are not allowed inside if Indie is out playing. I have a mini pomeranian which Indie likes to tease and has also drive bombed a couple of times.
I think cats are ok with birds as long as you are willing to always be the parront with the open eyes. Because you never know what might happen.