still won't go near new cage

Moderator: Mods

sonic70

still won't go near new cage

Post by sonic70 »

it has now been 2 weeks since i bought cosmos new cage and still no luck getting him to go near it. i have forced him in a couple of times and he hang on the side terrified. i have placed his old cage directly next to the new cage and he can't wait to get of his old cage to get as far away from the new cage as possible. i took the playpen off the roof of the cage thinking that was the problem. still no go. i don't know what to do. im scared if i force him i will kill him with fright. toys and food don't work either.
avril

Post by avril »

Take the old cage away and just leave the new one.

Place him in it and leave him nice and quiet and don't go checking on him all the time.

Birds are notorious for this, they like to rule the roost just be firm and all will fall into place.

Good luck Be FIRM NO GIVING IN REMEMBER YOU ARE HIGHER UP THE ORDER THAN HIM LOL
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Yep take away the old cage. Hes gotta eventually go in the new one to eat and sleep.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
sonic70

Post by sonic70 »

thanks for that will give it ago
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello Sonic,

I would start by placing your ringneck next to the new cage. Though your instinct might be to coddle your ringneck during this stressful moment—don’t. This makes the situation worse. Let me elaborate.

Ringnecks are very sharp parrots and keen to our facial expressions. Ringnecks are not able to make facial expressions and are very observant creatures. Because of this, any facial expression you make only helps to reinforce this habit of being scared. Place your ringneck near the cage and go about your business. Don’t tell the ringneck it will be okay, or talk to him during this moment—in a sense you have to be almost robotic.

If you don’t react your ringneck should not react as well. Only if he is calm and on the cage should you talk to him or reassure him.

It might take a few tries; however, be consistent. My Archimedes hated this shower perch I got him, but I got him adjusted to it in a matter of hours.

Hope this helps, :wink:

Imran Chaudhry

P.S. Please keep us updated!
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Well said Imran, didnt think of doing that.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

We are a force to be reckoned with man :!:
~ Mikaela Sky