Hi...a little help please

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Blues Brothers

Hi...a little help please

Post by Blues Brothers »

I have a young blue IRN called Jake (Jake and Elwood, from the Blues Brothers!), I also have an almost brand new golden cocker spaniel, and a very old Labrador X Blue Heeler.
Unfortunately, I have no idea what kind of vet visits Jake has had, as I bought him while on holiday at my cousins house (a little irresponsible but after glancing at him I would walk the hour it took to get to the pet store in the hot Australian sun to see him everyday!).
So I was wondering if you could tell me what I should be asking about when I find an aviary vet that I can trust with my baby...

and I promise to post pics ASAP...
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Our aussies will be along soon to help!

Congrats on the new baby!

Does your baby seem 'ok'? No watery eyes, sneezing, food issues? Those are usually first indicators of sickness.

Otherwise, a good check up is never a bad thing. Let me look... someone was talking about vet prices the other day... maybe were from Aussie! If not... someone will help you very soon. :wink:
~ Mikaela Sky

Donna

Post by Donna »

A well bird checkup is always a good idea for a new bird. I don't know what vets are charging in Aussie but I just spent 200 us dollars on my ringneck just before the holidays and he had all kinds of blood work done and come to find out he was just sexualy frustrated.LOL I'm sure if your little guy is not showing any signs of illness he will just check his feather condition,weight,bones, and do a poop check. You might want to ask him to clip the wings and toenails too. Good luck

Donna
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Welcome Jake and Elwood!

I agree a check up at the avain vet is one of the first things you need to do. Where abouts in Oz are you? I only paid around 100 aussie dollars at an avian vet down here in Melbourne just before xmas. The consultation fee is around 40 dollars I think. Testing varies in price though. He is aparantly one of the top avian vets in Australia. I didnt have to ask him much. He was great and knew how to handle my Gilbert. And Gilbert was very well behaved.

You can ask the vet anything your unsure of or read some posts on this forum.

Some things to ask would be is the bird in general good condition? Healthy weight? Pooh ok? Maybe do some blood tests to make sure there is no disease.
Also get the vet to clip Jakes wings it will make things easier when your training and taming.

Enjoy your new companion! :wink:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Blues Brothers

Post by Blues Brothers »

Boy you guys are quick :)

I'm in Rockhampton...about 8 hours North of the Gold Coast, so a bit hot here!

He is fine, and after reading some of the problems you guys are having I got extremely lucky (I doubt I could be as patient!)...the only downer now is we are unsure if Jake really is a dude...
Looks like the ring is getting darker, and he is about one and a half (I think - pet store bird, well treated, but not really the same as breeder babies!)...

Thanks for the advice, I actually rang the vet we took our puppy too and cruised around their website, apparently one of the vets is bird qualified so I got really lucky

Thanks and I even took a picture of him today for you (it's upside down, but not too bad...don't ask how I managed that :P)

Anyways thanks for the advice!
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

If your IRN is anything like mine, he is as llikely to be upside down as right side up. Don't see the photo though? Try again....??
MCS