Moulting?

Moderator: Mods

squawgirl

Moulting?

Post by squawgirl »

Hello everyone. I have a green IRN that I purchased in February. Her name is Ivy and she turned 3 years old in March. I have noticed here lately that she is losing a lot of her feathers. From what I can see she is not plucking them out. I was wondering if she was moulting and if so how long does it last? Also how often do IRN's moult? If anyone can assist me with this situation I would really appreciate it. Thanks alot.
phoebebird

Post by phoebebird »

My bird is currently molting also. I notice it usually happens about twice a year, during spring and fall. I think it lasts a couple weeks, from what I've noticed. It's sad seeing her lose her (Phoebe) big tail feathers, but they'll grow back eventually!
indianskye

Post by indianskye »

Kazoo is molting too. She has some new flight feathers, which were previously trimmed and I've noticed a ton of lil feathers everywhere. She still looks great, if it weren't for all the lil feathers floating around, you'd never now she was molting.

When I went this past Saturday to pick up our new IRN, the breeder said there was something wrong with Kazoo, without even looking at her (she was home). He said she should not be in molt, a bird would not chance molting before the breeding season... obviously there is something wrong with her. I've frantically searched for info on molting since then. From what I've read, most IRN's are molting now. I wish there was more info on IRN's, I was totally freaked out, for no apparent reason.

Anyone know of a book on IRN's???
Have a great day!

Deb
and the Zoo

Kazoo (Lutino Ringneck), Blue (Blue and Gold Macaw), Sky and Remington (father and son Shar Peis), Sasha and Desi (Prarie Pups), Merlin (Sugar Glider) and LJ, Corey and Cat (the Fish).