Feeding Routine

Moderator: Mods

TiMoThY

Feeding Routine

Post by TiMoThY »

Hi all

I have a 3.yo grey hen and 10 month old blue yellowhead male. I want to give them the best diet and stick to a routine.
Any ideas how the feeding routine should be to keep the ringnecks healthy?
Worming and other medicines? Am I supposed to do this every month? I hope you can give me an idea what I should be doing week by week and month by month.
Looking forward to your reply.

Regards
TiMoThY
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hello TiMothy,

It’s good to hear from you again.

Okay, it seems that you are keeping the Ringnecks for breeding. Their diets should consist of fruits, vegetables, grains, seeds, and pellets.

Feeding your Ringnecks for optimal health is very important, especially for breeding. I am lucky enough to have a great fertile rate; I believe it’s due to a healthy diet I provide my Ringnecks.

First of all, Ringnecks are fruit eaters and prefer them over seeds. As a matter of fact, some Ringnecks have to be coxed in eating seeds. Everyday you should cut up fresh fruit and it should be put inside the cage. There is no rhyme or rule to the fruit you offer, just make sure you offer a variety. A variety will offer the correct amount of nutrients and vitamins for the Ringnecks. Same rule applies to vegetables. I highly recommend uncooked spinach and raw broccoli, which are high in iron. Ohh! Don’t be afraid to offer peppers! My Ringnecks love raw jalapeños. Birds do not have the same chemical reaction as humans do to peppers.

You can get creative and make a nice vegetable/ fruit mix. The sky is the limit!

Also, pellets should be offered to the birds at all times in a separate bowl. Ringnecks are not keen on pellets, nor are most parrots, but keeping a bowl to the side will offer extra nutrients. I honestly believe an all pellet diet is harmful and will cause liver failure! So watch out.

Seeds should also be used as a stable source of food. Just keep those fruits and vegetables inside the cage so the bird can pick between all the food choices. Same rule applies as to pellets, seeds should not be the only food item offered. A seed only diet will cause extra fat around the liver, which will cause the bird to have a short lifespan.

Also, offer some sort of cuttlebone or mineral block along the sides of the cage. Ringnecks love these to keep their breaks in optimal condition.

A trick that will keep your birds in optimal health is to add apple cider vinegar to the water. This is the best little trick I have leaned when it comes to parrots. Add a drop per ounce of water. This should be substituted twice a week for fresh water. Apple cider vinegar has many great enzymes or minerals that will make the feathers shine! Also, it’s a great bacterial killer for birds and promotes proper digestion.

Ok, onto worming. You should not have to use any medications to deworm your Ringnecks. This would only be an issue if the birds are housed by poultry. Just keep the cages clean and you’ll have no problems. If you do need deworming medication, your vet might suggest albon or penacure. Too much of these can cause liver or kidney failure. But I would not worry about it. Just take the birds to the vet to care for worming.

Hope this helps, :wink:

I.C.