Treats

Moderator: Mods

Treats

Post by Guest »

Hello once again,
I am wondering what most people give their IRN for a treat. I would like to start using a 'Clicker' and a treat to teach Bobby a few things. The only thing I know he really loves is peanuts, but I also know that they should not have them too often, what would anyone suggest. He is 5 Months old now, enjoys his fruit etc. but cannot pin point any favourites.
Would love to hear from anyone on this subject. Cheers from New Zealand.
PS. I also learn a great deal from this sight, and I look every few days to see what people have written in about. Rosemary :)
Jodie

questions

Post by Jodie »

Hi,
For treats I give peanuts, cut up pieces of millet (the strands can be cut up at least twice to help them last longer), cut apples (regular red and granny smith), cut oranges, small portions of corn on cob, cut up celery. Every now and then I give them a small piece of bacon or jerky. You should see them run for that treat! I had a conure that loved twizzlers. To find your birds favorite offer two items at the same time. To try to keep the experiment fair try to get treats of the same size. My greedy conure would always take the bigger treat! See which one it chooses. You will find a favorite treat if your bird is limited. My conure ate off my plate alot of times so, she had a wide variety of treats. I am sure there are ringneck owners out there that allow their bird to do the same! I hope this helps..........
Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Hi,

The thing with treats, especially clicker rewards is they can be absolutely anything! Even things like peanuts because they should be cut into tiny pieces so the bird gets a taste, enough to know its their fave treat but then its gone and they have to work to get another piece.

Datsun loves apple, grapes, orange(very messy to cut small :? ), pear, banana, peanuts, sunflower seeds, watermelon, capsicum........

Bobby will decide what he wants as his treat the trick is working that out :wink: I think Jodies ideas for this are fantastic! :D Im sure Bobby will agree!
indian ringneck

Post by indian ringneck »

Sometimes I use sunflower seeds, sometimes apple. Depending on your bird's taste each treat is different.