does ur irn have a bedtime?

Moderator: Mods

ambros1a

does ur irn have a bedtime?

Post by ambros1a »

and if so, what time is it, are they allowed up later on weekends etc?
or weekdays if they refuse to stop playin with the mirror :shock: lol
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Baby sleeps from sun down to sun up. If not. :shock: He is a mean baby.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I put them back in their cages around 8-9 and they get up when ever...not too strict around here...

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

I wouldnt be strict either, Baby is just lazy. :lol:

That sun falls with his eye lids and you had better not mess with him before he wakes on his own. :evil:

He is a Jerk if woken. Wont listen and holds his beak open like he is going to bite somebody. :twisted:

I have to sit alone when I cant sleep because he isnt a very good best friend for he wont hop out and sit up with me. :roll:
~ Mikaela Sky

Bird crazy

Bedtime

Post by Bird crazy »

I have a dilemna there. I work from home at night 5pm to 8 am. My desk and Nila's cage are in the same room. Nila gets nippy as he gets sleepy around 9-9:30 pm and I try to put him in his cage and lights out but if I get a call I get up and have to turn a light on. Anyway I got a dark blue cover for the cage and he hates it. Also if I go out on a call early and come back in and hubby has put him to bed he wakes up and wants out.
This past week I thought skip the cover and get him out if he wants out and put him in if he wants in. He's a lot happier now. But I worry about the long term effects of the sleep thing.

Sue and Nila
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Melika

Post by Melika »

Sundown for Hane and Tsume as well. We just don't get upstairs until late, so by then the lights are still off and they're sleeping. Hane is grumpy if you wake him. ^^
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
CarolinaWren

Post by CarolinaWren »

hmph!! 6-6:30pm for Max or i don't get ANY break ... also, a nap for her during the day from 1-sh to 5-ish ... she's a U2 & gets CRANKY as hell otherwise & i can't catch a break ... i have an illness that sometimes renders me USELESS & i can't deal with her ON ME all day! Willie, on the other hand, being the wonderfully well-behaved IRN that he is :D stays outside of his cage from 8-ish a.m. 'til i darken the windows around 6pm ... i just leave his door open all day, so he can come & go as he pleases ... he generally goes in around 6-6:30pm, then i cover him around 7pm. my 'puter's in the bird room & if Johnny or i come in to do stuff online, he'll go in & eat & eat & eat ... like, "i'm really happy that you're in here, but i ain't gonna tell ya ... munch, munch" ... Gina used to do the same thing ... too funny, these fids!

luv,

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all

Emily Dickinson
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

mine wake with the sun and sleep when it sinks...except in the summer when it is light until 9:30ish, then I cover them around 8pm.

When I keep them up later than that, they are likely to get cranky, when they get cranky, they are much more likely to take a chunk out of my finger.
CatsChair

Post by CatsChair »

All my birds live in the great room, so they get as little sleep as I do (except they can go back to sleep after I go to work if it is still dark). Canaries go to sleep on their own about 8 pm, everyone else slowly nods off until about 10 pm (despite TV, lights, etc), with only the budgies still raising a ruckus around midnight. I did try covering everyone up and trying to let them have a good 8 hr, but most all of them just make noise from the dark if they hear me up and around. Maybe someday when I can afford my mansion, we will have a bird room where everyone can get a good night's sleep; for the time being we are all happily sleep deprived!
MCS
Pommeraniac

Bedtime

Post by Pommeraniac »

My Cockatiel (Fabio) and Ringneck (Paco) get up at 6:15 am every morning when I uncover their cages. I get them out for about 10 minutes while I change their water, fill their seed/pellet cups and give them fresh veggies. Then back to their cages until I get home about 4:00 pm. Then their cages are open until we go to bed at 10:00. They don't usually stay out that late. They usually put themselves to bed about 8:30 ish. Then I cover their cages with sheets when I go to bed at 10:00.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

My Gilbert puts himself to bed around 8-9pm and starts screaming at me to get him out whenever he hears my partner get up for work around 7-8am. :roll:
Newbirdmom

Post by Newbirdmom »

Maya hates having a sheet put on she screams when I place it on her cage. So she goes to bed when she wants to at about 10 or 11. She is very loud at night but that is my falt. When my kids don't get to bed when told I tell them to go to bed right now. So now she is saying it. I think it is cute but when she wakes up now she says it too lol.
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

baby aka loki seems to have no probs with the sheet covering the top of her cage, but our newest addition archimedes, when i went to cover him tonight didnt seem to like it, so in order to keep his first night here as stress-less as possible, i took the cover off and am leaving him in the spare room 9i believe the quarantine period is about 30days, and arch hadnt had his ver trip yet since comin home today will look into that in the morning (its after 1am here)
sonic70

no set bedtime

Post by sonic70 »

cosmo has no set bedtime. at around 8.30pm i sit and watch telly cosmo joins me for his nightly cuddle. if he doesn't get his cuddle before i put him in the cage he refuses to go in. there have been times when i have had to take him to bed with me. as he has been to stubborn or to clingy to go in his cage.
Shikoba's Mommy

Post by Shikoba's Mommy »

My birds don't have a set bedtime. Usually whenever the lights go out anywhere from 9-10PM and my lovebirds are my alarm clock every morning ( they are the loudest ) at around 7AM.
mareta

Post by mareta »

8:30!!!!!
If I forget and dont put Nora back in her cage, or forget to turn the light off, she WILL very loudly remind me!!! Now with summer coming on I have to cover her cage because she gets up with the sun-in June that is around 2 AM!! and I need my sleep too.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Wow 2am! Ouch. Where abouts are you from again mareta? I cant imagine the sun being up at 2am. :shock:
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
Pounamu

Post by Pounamu »

7:30pm, Pounamu doesn't like being up too late, but s/he does get up with the sun.
tu_ija

Post by tu_ija »

My birds go to the cage by themselves if anyone hadn`t put them there by 10pm at the latest. They wake up at 8-9am.

Kalle, 12 years old male
Tuittu, 10 years old female

http://www.selanpaa.net/kalle
giantfoot_truck

Post by giantfoot_truck »

Lovy usually sleep randomly after 7:00 pm, and she would wake up in the middle to drink and eat some food, she is fully awaken around 6:00 am, when the dove do their "good morning coo", she would be awaken as well.
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) I have no lighting in my bedroom so it is sunup to sundown . I have one of those miserable apartments designed in the 60's when indirect lighting was all the rage. The only room in my apartment with an over head light is the kitchen. I go through about a lamp a year in my bedroom and when the last one broke I just havn't bought a new one.
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto
Rico's Mom

Bedtime for Jaden

Post by Rico's Mom »

Jaden usually goes to bed at 8pm, I work afternoons so my hubby usually puts her to bed around 8 or 8:30
Klaatu

Post by Klaatu »

8) Fall is approaching and days are getting shorter. I really need a light in my room but I am moving in 26 days and am waiting to buy a lamp for our room until then. As of now, I get dressed in the dark and Klaatu goes to sleep as soon as the sun goes down. Once we move I will buy a lamp and put Klaatu on a shcedule that matches mine. Oh, and yeah, I won't be dresing in the dark any more. :lol:
Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto
ambros1a

Post by ambros1a »

well, its been 12months since i originally posted this.
the kids have a routine now. bedtime is 6pm
and i mean it - 6PM!!
lol, seriously, if theyre not covered at 6pm, they start screaming, telling us its bedtime, until they get covered. Its quite funny, we leave it some nights.. 6:02pm *SQUAWK SQUAWK BEDTIME* my partner leaves for work about 5:30am, they get uncovered then, i hear them screaming around 7 on, but ignore em till about 10 when i get up, give em more fresh water (coz he does it too most mornings), some fruit or vegies with a seed refill, do my thing, give them MORE water (they love baths) and goto work. lol.
haha. kids, fids, theyre one and the same to me now (only having the feathered kind helps)
snowsand

Post by snowsand »

We've only had Mojito for 1 week. We have however figured out by trial and error that he hates being covered and does not sleep if we do cover him early h/she will run around the cage and freak out until uncover him. Rather than stress h/her out we just make sure the room is darkened and he is back in his cage by 8pm and he will sleep when the house is shut down and quiet for the night.
Fah

Post by Fah »

My little boy is a lutino. Three years old now. And he has the life of a computer programmer. Naemh is his name. Gaelic for bright.. well one of the dialects

Take naps when and where ever possible. He sleeps when I do.. and plays and chats and sleeps when he is around me.. its like a routine.

Wake.. eat.. play.. sleep.. eat.. jump on keyboard irregularly.. ask me to make food... eat.. play.. sleep.. destroy something.. eat.. sleep. And sometimes he goes outside.. pretends to be a fierce chocobo in the grass and stalks my poor cat :/

He has no set bed time... ranges anything from 10pm to 3am.. wake time is normally 7am to 9am.

He sleeps either in a cage on our patio with a friend of his (young unsexed silver.. semi tame) or in my room with a play area. Though I love how when he has had enough he puts himself away or finds my shoulder. When people are around he wants nothing but to talk with us.. flirting and chittering in his own way.. often not caring if we pay attention of not. And he goes quiet when the lights are down.. very quiet. Well trained for movies :P

Though he does snuggle and chitter / nibble my ear when he is very tired.. which leads to screaming if i keep moving about. Or he will fly to you and disrupt you by eating your food from the mouth or other cheeky things if he is overtired.

He sometimes wakes me in morning with one of two very different options. a) walking all over the bed dancing / flirting or b) screaming for attention or to go outside and harass the other IRN's if they arent in breeding season.

I admit completely he is a little weird. Though his attitude is highly infectious when around other birds for a length of time. They take on his flirting or attack him. Its a win some lose some battle sometimes with him getting along with other birds.
ryelle

Post by ryelle »

i have a cover over spits cage which is just an old bed sheet. if i dont he doesnt sleep. he wakes up around 8am, although hes covered up until around 11am to keep him quiet, which time he plays with his toys quietly or eats his breakfast. we cover him over between half 9 and half ten at night, if he starts getting a bit loud.
on a weekend if we stay up late he goes crazy until we go to bed at 2/3/ maybe 4am. he doesnt nap during the day either. he attempts too but he cant keep his gob shut long enough to let himself sleep. dunno how to get him to sleep apart from covering him up... and im sure he doesnt sleep then :shock:
celtic_aura

Post by celtic_aura »

If 8:30 comes and Gigi bird isn't covered he grunts and hits himself repeatedly in the head with his foot until I cover him. I can usually hear him moving around and chittering around 9 am, which is when I try to uncover him. He sometimes naps off and on during the day, but I believe he is starting a molt and won't nap unless I cover him, which I sometimes do during the day. He's nosey and with all my other animals he has to be covered to sleep. Otherwise he's constantly waking up keeping an eye on things.
Lauren
Site Admin

Post by Lauren »

Jibby does that too. I have a video somewhere. He does it whenever hes ready to sleep or nap. But he does it whether hes covered or not. I dont cover anymore. Lately because of the hot weather mine perk up a bit after the sun goes down and its cooler. So bedtimes have been later than usual.
"Jibby aka Gilbert" Indian Ringneck 13 years "Charlie" Rex Rabbit 1 year
bec

Post by bec »

kiron puts himself to bed most nights riku waits till we dim the lights then flys to the rope coil & waits for larissa to lift it down & tell her to hop in which she does then gets her pat & thats the last we hear occasionally riku puts her self to bed too not really any set time it all depends on whether they were out all day (when im home) or if larissa gets them out after school
azringneckfound

Post by azringneckfound »

7:30 for Buddy. He likes his routine. I don't know what time he waked up he is very quiet until we wake up at 9:00am. Being is SAHM is rough..heehee
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Like clockwork Charlie Parker starts chatting and ringing his bell at 9:20PM, then climbs up on my shoulder while I change his papers, wash his dishes, and put all the toys back into the toy basket. Then we have a fruit snack and he hops over to peck my longterm houseguest on the nose, then gives me a little kiss and climbs onto his perch after circling the perimeter of the cage and rearranging his bell and the swing. On the rare occasion I don't hear him he'll hop around the house or fly and come find me. Daylight savings time was very confusing for him as he's very stubborn about lights out at 9:30.
dan

Post by dan »

I'm glad I read this! I thought birds slept around 6pm.

I couldn't get him few nights ago so I just left the cage open and dimmed the lights

But he didn't go to bed on his own until 10:30pm. Now I just leave him go in the cage on his own. It seems to be around 10:30pm.
PuffnFresh

Post by PuffnFresh »

before piplar goes to bed, he walks around his cage, when the lights are turned off, (candles are used) he automatically walks into his cage in sits in the corner where he always sleeps. close the door and slipe the sheet on and he is set this is about 9 or 10
brunofam5141

Re: does ur irn have a bedtime?

Post by brunofam5141 »

we cover newm up between 7:30 and 8 and uncover him in the morning at about 7:30.
ciqala20

Post by ciqala20 »

i cover ciqala up whenever and she never makes a sound. its getting her in thats difficult. if i leave her uncovered for a while b4 bed and she sees me she will either ask me, in her special cute way, to pet her or squawk to let her out. but she's calm once she is covered. and doesn't make a sound until i uncover her in the am unless you leave her waiting till 11 and she knows ur awake
Valeria

Post by Valeria »

Usually my parrot fall asleep at 10 PM
MissK

Post by MissK »

Rocky lives in a room with three windows.
Last edited by MissK on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
-MissK
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Wow, MissK! How scientific!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Heh. I'm such a geek.

-MissK
-MissK
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Truly scientific, Missk!

Ash
salsapicante

Post by salsapicante »

I love this thread! My Jenday goes to sleep when the kids do.. usually around 9 PM, wake at 7AM with the family (his cage is covered at night) and his cage is in the living room. My baby IRN's are on the same schedule and are in their own room for now. As my husband says "birds should sleep when the sun sleeps" so we'll see how it unfolds as they grow older. : ) I love MissK's timed lighting I am going to consider that : )
chjery1000

Post by chjery1000 »

I have two Parrotlets, along with Chester. They go to bed every night between 5:30 PM & 6:30 PM. I turn off their artificial light at 7:30 PM and cover them at 8 PM. During the week I am up at 6:00 AM doing skin kid, furry kid and feathered friend duties and then I work from home all day.

Chester and I are still trying to figure out his routine. He doesn't go to bed as early, which is nice for me. I enjoy the company at night. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one letting them figure it out for themselves. :D
Donovan

Post by Donovan »

I have two birds with two different bed times, and I like it that way.

One is an early bird. He's awake and chewing on toys before i wake up and uncover him.. and he puts himself to bed around 8pm.

The other is a night owl.. sleeps all morning and stays up til 11pm or midnight. Around 9pm he's ready to play games (this is prime training time for him)

This allows me to work with them individually at times when the other isn't interested.
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

It is interesting to see how versatile they all are, it is not so much THEIR bed time but the time we think should be their bedtime. My Alex hen wants the cage closed at 7 pm and tours the bowls for 30 mins then she sits on her sleeping perch waiting for me to cover her at 7.30. When l uncover her at 8.30 she looks like death warmed up and it takes her 10 minutes to start moving, As soon as l open the cage top she sits there until she lets go a big poop, woe betide me if l get my hand in the way!

She does not take cat naps duirng the day unless she has one when l have 40 winks.
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

Sunni falls asleep in my hair at about 7:00 or 7:30 every night. The other three sit on their tree, noshing and preening and watching Jeopardy until 8:00 sharp. Then they start chirping, whistling and screaming at us to go to bed. We make sure the path is clear to their night perches in the bedroom and turn on the hall light and they all three make their way to their perches. At 7:30 sharp in the morning, Oscar wakes everyone up with soft noises and "come on". :)
Loves the fids. They do like their routine. And they set it, not us.
Dana
~Dana

MissK

Post by MissK »

He lives on natural light.
Last edited by MissK on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
Buddy4us

Post by Buddy4us »

Buddy goes to bed around 9pm and by 8am if I open his cage and take the covering of he is well awake already.
Born: 6 October 2014 South Africa
AJPeter

Post by AJPeter »

They need 12 - 14 hours of good sleep, no TV when they are covered. My Alex tells me when she wants to be covered, l do it in stages first l wrap a fleece from the back around her cage leaving the front open about 3 pm and then about an hour later she gets another fleece covering the front.

Because l like to watch the TV l add a continental quilt and listen to the TV through head phones. But she gets peace and quiet at 5 pm when l go to the kitchen to cook my evening meal. She gets uncovered at 8 am.