peanuts for wild birds safe?

Moderator: Mods

Bird_lover574

peanuts for wild birds safe?

Post by Bird_lover574 »

Hi
I was given a bag of approved peanuts for wild garden birds and i was wondering if these are safe for my IRN as i used to give him peanuts from the pet store but heard awful tales about toxic mold on the nuts?
Melika

Re: peanuts for wild birds safe?

Post by Melika »

You have to make your own decision, based on knowledge of your area, your bird, and his existing diet. Here is a topic that goes in-depth into what the toxicity is and why peanuts might not be as dangerous as the alarmists on the internet try to make us believe... http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 13&t=11110
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Bird_lover574

Post by Bird_lover574 »

I have had no problems with the nuts i have fed him before. Shelled or unshelled. It is just that i wondered if these nuts were any different in how they are handles since they are for wild birds
Melika

Post by Melika »

Bird_lover574 wrote:I have had no problems with the nuts i have fed him before. Shelled or unshelled. It is just that i wondered if these nuts were any different in how they are handles since they are for wild birds
Peanuts for animal consumption (including peanuts in bird food/from the pets store) would be the same as peanuts for wild birds- and are held to a different standard than peanuts for human consumption.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Bird_lover574

Post by Bird_lover574 »

Thank you for replying and for your help. I realised they would probably be the same i just wanted to confirm this just so i could be sure. Id rather check if i have any doubts rather than take a risk :)