Should I get my female a friend

Moderator: Mods

shugoobs

Should I get my female a friend

Post by shugoobs »

Hi everyone. I've only posted once before, about a year and a half ago when I began an interesting adventure with my wild Indian Ringneck. She arrived on my porch one day, came back the next and so on, until she actually started living on my porch. I live in Dubai and we have many flocks of wild ringnecks here. This turned into her living in my kitchen -- all the while, she was free to come and go. After realizing that a bird flying (and living) freely in my kitchen wasn't so smart, we gave her her own room. She is not cage trained and only knows her cage as a big place where she might find food. She only steps into it for bites to eat now and then. Otherwise, her "cage" is her room, which is a rather large, well-fitted for birds, sanctuary. I spend much of my time at home in her room, so she gets a lot of attention. She still goes outside and will fly from the back of the house (where her room is) to the front of the house (where the porch and kitchen are). She is always free to go, but since she and I have bonded tremendously, she chooses to stay. My question is whether or not I should get her a friend. I have no concrete reason for this, just a feeling that she needs a bird companion. She is VERY into males -- people, etc., and I suspect that she would be aggressive toward a female bird, so I'm thinking of getting a male of another species. She's pretty emotional and can be a bit moody, so I'd like to find a breed that would be compatible with her. I don't have any desire to breed her. Any advice about breeds or whether this is even a good idea would be appreciated.
Attachments
This is Kermie
This is Kermie
Kermie.jpg (46.38 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
sanjays mummi

Re: Should I get my female a friend

Post by sanjays mummi »

As your bird is semi feral, and has complete liberty, I can't help thinking she is quite capable of providing her own companion, that, by now, if she was so inclined, she would have brought him home to meet you. She has bonded with you, and you are obviously her flock. My Sanjay is quite territorial, and I suspect, that if I introduced another bird, he would do his best to kill it. In your situation, your bird doesn't actually live in her cage, so she would resent being caged during the introduction period when they have to get used to each other. This would make matters worse.
shugoobs

Post by shugoobs »

Thank you for your words of wisdom! You make an excellent point in that she would have made a friend if she wanted one. We had a small group of Ringnecks roosting in the building across from us and she completely ignored them, even as they flew by our terrace.
vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 »

I live in Dubai too and it is quite amazing that you've managed to build such a bond with a wild bird !
Since she is wild , I'm quite sure she is capable of finding herself a mate.
IRN females tend to be nasty overall and it could turn ugly if she decides she doesn't like her new friend. Most parrots of their size like cockatiels etc are no match for an angry ringneck. Based on your description , she can also come and go as she pleases . So the new bird would be left alone if she doesn't return one day .
I'd suggest you enjoy the bond you have with her unless you personally want another bird .
Good luck :D
shugoobs

Post by shugoobs »

She does have a nasty streak and she can be quite moody at times, but only to others (not to me, thank goodness). Just from the couple of replies I've received, though, I've decided to leave well enough alone. She will bring someone home if she feels the need. I think you're right about her possibly becoming violent towards another bird... she definitely seems the type.

Thank you so much for your reply!

Try to stay cool in this lovely middle eastern summer. Ugh!
vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 »

shugoobs wrote:She does have a nasty streak and she can be quite moody at times, but only to others (not to me, thank goodness). Just from the couple of replies I've received, though, I've decided to leave well enough alone. She will bring someone home if she feels the need. I think you're right about her possibly becoming violent towards another bird... she definitely seems the type.

Thank you so much for your reply!

Try to stay cool in this lovely middle eastern summer. Ugh!

You're welcome !

Its getting horrible this week week . Last night was particularly nasty ........
shugoobs

Post by shugoobs »

It gives new meaning to the words "hot and humid" ... like nothing I've experienced before!