One male and two females - is breeding possible?

Moderator: Mods

Wessel Gordon

One male and two females - is breeding possible?

Post by Wessel Gordon »

Hi everyone

I recently lost one of my IRN males due to natural causes (found him dead in the cage one morning). Since then I moved one of my other pairs in with her since she's in a much bigger cage than they were.

Is it possible that the male will breed with both females or will he prefer the female he is used to? I noticed the male and the "widowed" female interacting without much interference from the other female. I made sure each female has access to her own nest as to avoid territorial fights.

Kind regards,

Wessel
MissK

Re: One male and two females - is breeding possible?

Post by MissK »

Wessel, I'm no breeder, but I don't think you should try this.
-MissK
Wessel Gordon

Re: One male and two females - is breeding possible?

Post by Wessel Gordon »

MissK,

Thanks for the advice. The 3 birds have been living peacefully together for a few months now and neither of the females are displaying breeding or nesting behavior. Since we're at the beginning of our IRN breeding season in the Southern Hemisphere I'm sure there would have been an indication by now if either female wanted to lay eggs.

On the other hand: I have a pair in a separate cage that's been together for about two years and I've only seen the female once this entire week since she's spending all her time in her nest. I'm not sure how many eggs there are since I don't want to interrupt them too much but all the signs are there that they are incubating a clutch.

Wessel