favourite treats

Moderator: Mods

Bird_lover574

favourite treats

Post by Bird_lover574 »

Hi guys
My IRN recently seems to have gone off peanuts which were his favourite treat before. I was wondering what your birds favourite treats are?
MissK

Re: favourite treats

Post by MissK »

Big seeds (sunflower, safflower), nuts (pecan & almond the fave, hazelnut dislikedl), fruit (apple, pear) always go well here. Peanuts are well liked, as is peanut butter. Bread, for some reason, always gets a win.
-MissK
Bird_lover574

Post by Bird_lover574 »

He used to like peanuts but he spits them out now. I havent tried him with peanut butter because i am yet to find one without additives although i do have natural cashew butter and iv tried him with that but he didnt seem to interested. Is bread safe to give your bird? I tend to just stick with fruit and vegetables (although my bird only really likes peas) and nuts. I made him biscuits once out of blended seed and carrot to try encourage him to try different vegetables but he just picked the seed out :lol:
MissK

Post by MissK »

Bread is as safe as you make it. Obviously, read the label and don't let him pig out every day. As InTheAir noted, a serving of treat should be tiny.
-MissK
Bird_lover574

Post by Bird_lover574 »

Where do you buy the nuts you feed you IRN? Do you just get them from the shop or a pet store?
MissK

Post by MissK »

I buy them from my grocery store. Read the label carefully to be sure there is nothing on them. Also, nuts can go rancid, so always taste a sample first. It's OK to keep them in the fridge.
-MissK
Bird_lover574

Post by Bird_lover574 »

Thank you! I was looking at walnuts at the grocery store and i wasnt sure if they would be okay. I read the label and the only thing it said in ingredients was walnuts but i just wanted to be sure :)