male or female?

Moderator: Mods

Grs369

male or female?

Post by Grs369 »

I think she is a female. I don´t know the age. Image Image
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Looks like ya got you a purdy 'fella' there.

How old? DNA isnt even 100% so we can only take educated quesses.

But, because of his beak placement and foot size, Im forced to say MALE. More pics would help. Does he do this 'eye-pinning, wing spreading while walking' thing?

Video is nice too so we can pick up on behaviors.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I'd say female...that bird doesn't look like a 'young' IRN more like it has a few years behind it in age...hence why I think girl

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Definately not young. Looks at least a yr and a half. Wish I could see how he perches. I cant see his talons. Or better yet, video.

Actually, 'his' legs do look a too far apart for a male, if thats his normal stance.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

That bird looks older than just a year or two...the plumage is too well kept...in younger birds they don't have the prideful 'look at me I'm handsome...see I'd make a great mate' look to them just yet. That bird is polished and clean looking. I'd say more along the lines of 3-4 at the very least...then again I could be wrong...teehee

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/picsofbaby/

Beg to differ!

Prideful or vain? You be the judge. :lol:

~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Ah...your Baby is just odd...I dunno about him most of the time. He is in a class all his own...

Still love that gorgeous Baby but I am saying MOST birds are like this

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Yeah, thinks he is da ****. :roll:

Just posted 100 pics of baby and what I think may be a ring.
~ Mikaela Sky

Grs369

Post by Grs369 »

More pics.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Pic two and all of the pics where she is perched screams female.

If you have never seen the very elaborate ringneck dance I desribed, you can chalk it up to being a female. She would be displaying that often and it cant go unnoticed.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Ah but Mik then there are those females who take the 'male' role on and will do that crazy dance...

Dani
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Er, I know. Then theres Dats.

Why we even bother? :oops: :roll: :lol:
~ Mikaela Sky

angie

Post by angie »

only true way to tell pre ring, besides DNA, is by classic male/female behavioural display, anything else is really just guessing:-

example of male, cobra looking head wobbles, and they hop along the ground tapping their beak also, Kai is only just 22 months :-

example of female, lutino, see her head back position and the squeaking behaviour, more noticeable in breeding season, Mickey is just on 24 months :-

Hope this helps ..

Cheers !
angie

Plus Mickey and Mallory (now placed in a new home as a breeder) the wild females, Mickey is now paired with Kai and they are about to be parronts.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

It impossible to tell with just pictures.
But by looking at the bird, IMO it looks like a Hen.
Only my Hens fluff their head feathers
Darlene

sex and age question

Post by Darlene »

:D My Luna is almost 18 monthes old. I think he is a male, just going on pics and discriptions. I will try to do the picture thing, but have never done it before. Luna has the dark eye markings and it looks like the ring is beginning to darken from light charcoal to darker, His beek is darker red in color from females I have seen. But I don't know if this is a sure sign. He pins and struts sometimes, but I haven't noticed the cobra like head bobbing. I have never seen him put his head back and do the sqeeky noise, like a female. But he does fluff the feathers on his head sometimes when he is feeling affectionate or aggressive. I have read that they don't ring until they are sexually mature. Is this true? and at what age do IRNs become sexually mature? Will I have to wait until he molts again to see if the black ring will happen? My Luna is our only fid. We are his flock and he is very bonded to us. I think the name Luna has been used for male or female. But sometimes I think we should have named him ( SharkY! ) :lol:
angie

Post by angie »

IRN's can "start" to ring in around 24 months, my kai is 22 months and has alot of black feathers starting around the bottom of his beak (jet black ones). The Ring will be completely in by the age of three.

Kai showed definate male behaviour from around 12 months and my Jordan displayed from 10 months. Your breeding season will have these behaviours present noticeably :wink:
angie

Plus Mickey and Mallory (now placed in a new home as a breeder) the wild females, Mickey is now paired with Kai and they are about to be parronts.
angie

Post by angie »

here are a couple of other vids of the boys behaviour

this is actually my two boys playing around. There were no females about at the time and it was coming on breeding season, and you will see Jordan feed kai in this vid (which I am told was kai assuming a female role, which he definately is not).

and this is classic, shoulders out, squat and hop behaviour of a cock bird. They will pin their eyes while they do this. They will also hop along a perch and tap their beaks down, the arch their heads back up again, as they squawk.

angie