Young ringneck excess saliva during beak-grind

Moderator: Mods

Yoshi_14

Young ringneck excess saliva during beak-grind

Post by Yoshi_14 »

Hi all,

First of all hello and I would like to introduce Yoshi, our 6 month old ringneck.

He has always been happily beak-grinding since he first came home to us, but lately he has been producing excess saliva while grinding... his behaviour is otherwise the same, just a very happy, friendly little fellow.
His feathers are also (while still growing) in good condition and he generally seems like a healthy little bird.

Has anyone seen or heard of this saliva issue while they beakgrind? I have found a few other mentions to it but nobody has posted the actual resolution.

I'll mention the weather has recently cooled as we head into Autumn here in Perth, WA... it's his first cool season so could that be a factor?

Thank you all in advance :D
Attachments
11173579_10152841776743616_1775133869_n.jpg
MissK

Re: Young ringneck excess saliva during beak-grind

Post by MissK »

I thought they didn't have saliva???? Why did I think this?
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

To the best of my knowledge (and dodgey memory), they have do have saliva but the outputting saliva thingies are really far back in the beak, not near the front like mammals (who don't have beaks)... I'm off to read up on whether monotreme's slobber now...
I looked it up after Nila drooled on me when he was having a siesta a couple years ago.

If it just a little bit of slobber I wouldn't worry.
Nila only drools when he is lying down in his "elongated sleeping duck" pose, as far as I can tell.

Claire
MissK

Post by MissK »

Nila lies down? Sigh. Maybe my birds are odd. I love my birds, though!
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I think Nila may be the odd one! He may have developed this sleeping pose because it is almost impossible to scrape him off your chest when you want to get up. :lol: He only does it on recumbent humans.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Oh! It's snuggling! :lol: My guys would *never* snuggle, but that's rather my shortcoming, not theirs.
-MissK