Pregnant and getting IRN ready for the baby

Moderator: Mods

jmlw7

Pregnant and getting IRN ready for the baby

Post by jmlw7 »

Hi all,

Its been a while since I posted on here. Remy is our 3 year old female IRN, doing amazingly well and is officially a cuddler. She turned from a 1 year old biter and lunger to a sweet cuddler over the past couple of years. She is extremely tame and thinks she's a person. Of course this isnt always, like now is her molting season, so she only likes her chin and head to be scratched for half the length of time, and she likes to attack herself in the mirror more often than not, but overall she is a really good girl.

Now, I am 30 weeks pregnant and am wondering if anyone has any advice to get her ready for when the baby comes along? So far she has been very gentle and doesnt seem to care that my belly is huge and moves under her feet when we put her on my belly. Its kind of funny how much she seems so unfazed by it. We thought because she is an animal, her senses would know there is a baby on the way. Especially since she is very much a girl bird. But birds dont get pregnant do they? Dont they just lay eggs? Anyway... our bird sitter seems to think she already knows, but does she? Hmmm

For the past year she has really been calming down with guests in the house. She squawks for a good minute or two when strangers first enter the house, then totally loses interest, quiets down and moves on with her regular behavior. So we are hoping she is like that when baby comes home. After all, whenever we have toddler guests in the house, she is more curious of what they are playing with and pretty much ignores everyone. When she realizes a toy they are playing with is too big or when she gives it a tiny lick and realizes its not delicious, she moves on.

Anything I should be thinking of that we havent already? We dont want a new baby to bring on weird aggression or breeding behaviors, even though up to now everything has been smooth sailing.
sanjays mummi

Re: Pregnant and getting IRN ready for the baby

Post by sanjays mummi »

Animals ain't daft!, your baby will just be a new member of her flock!, regardless of species, animals can suss out most things, I should imagine she will be curious at first. The only thing Sanjay gets worried about when my grandchildren visit, is sudden movement, especially if they get too close to his palace. Otherwise he finds the little darlings quite entertaining. Oh, Congratulations by the way.
jmlw7

Re: Pregnant and getting IRN ready for the baby

Post by jmlw7 »

sanjays mummi wrote:Animals ain't daft!, your baby will just be a new member of her flock!, regardless of species, animals can suss out most things, I should imagine she will be curious at first. The only thing Sanjay gets worried about when my grandchildren visit, is sudden movement, especially if they get too close to his palace. Otherwise he finds the little darlings quite entertaining. Oh, Congratulations by the way.
Thanks for the response.. we have a feeling all will be fine, as we have a toddler nephew around and Remy is always curious about the things he is playing with, and then loses interest. But then again, you hear about certain birds being similar to dogs in the sense that they get jealous or aggressive when a new baby comes along who gets more attention than they do. Although I cant imagine Remy being either of those things, I was hoping someone on here had experienced something similar, as Remy is only 3 years old and not completely an old lady just yet to have seen it all