Another Pic.

Post by Donna »

Image This my Moluccan Pappy
*MARIE*

Post by *MARIE* »

WOW what a beautiful baby
Donna

Post by Donna »

Aww Thank you he is a hand full let me tell ya.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Wow he is gorgeous! You must have one loud home... :P

Dani
Donna

Post by Donna »

They stay pretty quiet. There are some days with the moluccan that are kinda loud. Cockatoo's will push every botton you have. He is in his hormonal stage 11 years old and he thinks he can chase off any male that comes near me human or animal. I have to watch him close when he is out and my 19 year old son is home. He will chase him down just to draw blood. Donna
Bird crazy

Post by Bird crazy »

Ok I can never remember who is who and how many birds they have,
You have the blue and gold and the cockatoo and who else? And what are the names. I try to keep everybody straight but hey I think I'm the old lady in the group and can't remember that good any more.

Sue ann Nila
and I almost forgot, neat bird.
Sue
Rowdy Vos eclectus, Dolly Cockatiel
Nila Blue IRN, Priya Grey IRN, and Bigotes the cat
Donna

Post by Donna »

I have the B&G rocky. Moluccan Pappy, Unbrella2 Jasmine, CAG Fred, IRN Tango, IRN Tizzy, Breeding pair of TAG's, Breeding pair of blue IRN's. And My Grey's are on two eggs and will be hatching in another week. I'm getting pretty excited. Thanks for asking. Oh and I think I'm one of the old ones here too!!!! Donna
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

Dani, for the love of God make it stop :!:

MY MBS is getting out of control... think I need my meds adjusted. I dreamed of a gray the other night and woke up. Guess what? He wasnt there. :cry:

Is been pretty bad since then.

No matter what I get I wont be happy until Im cuddling a cockatoo. I have to get rid of my ol' man first though. He cant take the noise.
~ Mikaela Sky

Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

I started it??? Oops...well once you get one you have to get another and another...it's so easy to end up with a bunch of birds. I know I have to put my foot down on myself and Aggie IS the last one...but I've been trying to find a macaw that I could help for a while now. I want one back in my life.

Dani
Birdjunkie

Dream bird...........

Post by Birdjunkie »

well............I say my dream bird is a African Grey...........yet I seem to have everything else but.........a AF! lol
as ai type my Male Ecletus is riding my left hand as I type (Rusty). lol
I'm a birdjunkie.........I have a problem with limits. lol
Honestly........I THINK I do.
Cathe'<><
Solomon C2.
IRN's: Romeo/Juliet you let me know (lol), Pebbles (female)
Eclectus: Rusty
Joseph: Peace white dove
Cowboy:Green Quaker
Cocktiel: Sunshine
About 10 Society Finches. )
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

donna--I am considering adopting a moluccan that is with a rescue now. I have never owned a cockatoo-have one GAG, 2 IRN's and a flock of lovebirds--any advice?
Donna

Post by Donna »

Hi Kimtoo The Moluccan cockatoo's are one of the hardest cockatoo's to raise thats why so many rescues are full of cockatoos. Do you have any experience with large birds? They are very loud when they don't get their way. Do you know how old this M2 is. And does it have any bad habbits. My Moluccan is 12 years old and thats about the time their hormones kick in and Wow you have instant personality changes. Don't want to discourge you from adopting one cause there's so many that need a good home but ya gotta know what your going to be upagainst. The best thing I can advise is go visit the bird many times before making any choice. You also want to ask the rescue alot of questions like how many homes has it had and so on cause there going to ask you alot. Good luck I hope this helps. If ya have any more questions I'll be glad to help. Donna
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

thanks Donna. I have heard that m2's can be difficult to keep happy :wink: In researching the m2 on the web there is a definite trend toward advising extreme caution in making the decision to adopt one of these beautiful birds.

I have sent a bunch of questions to the woman at the rescue, all I know is he/she is about 7 years old. i am waiting to learn more. We will probably visit next weekend. I also have the opportunity to adopt a young blue and gold--she is just over a year old and may not be especially well socialized as she has been raised at a closed aviary. On one hand, I would like to provide a home for a displaced bird-the m2, but I am uncertain whether I am the right home and would be sick if it did not work out well and the bird and I were both unhappy.
On the other hand, the B&G is destined to become a breeder if she is not placed as a pet very soon. I believe that she is in as great a need as the m2, just different. :? From all I have learned, the B&G is no where near as "difficult", perhaps challenging is a better word, as the M2.

I would appreciate hearing from those of you with experience with either bird. This is a big decision for me, the m2 or b&g, and my fids. I want to make the right one!
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

*giggles*

Um I am getting a B&G and I would sooo take a macaw over a 'too anyday! The amount of damage a 'too can inflict is amazing! I'd go with the macaw...but I am partial...not only that but you can save that macaw from producing more babies that do not need to be on the market

Dani
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

thanks Dani, I appreciate your thoughts. I am kind of thinking along those same lines. I am going to meet the B&G this weekend and I expect to be totally smitten. I have been facinated for years by both species of birds and the 'too is such an awesome bird--in all honesty though I always thought I wanted a small 'too if I got one-probably a Goffin... I am afraid that I may not be the best m"too home.

Congrats on your new B&G, I was so happy to see your post about Aggie. I know your unfortunate experience with taking Rio from an unhappy home must have been very upsetting. So, sad for Rio but ecstatic for you and Aggie! I can't wait to see pic's!
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Trust me...that thing with Rio when deep. I don't know why but it took me a while to finally accept the fact that Rio wasn't coming home with me. Man that hurt...but I found Aggie and I know I can provide the home she needs.

Good luck with the macaw...they are awesome fids. Let us know what happens...and if you need any advice...I've been around the block when it comes to macaws...

Dani
kimtoo

Post by kimtoo »

thanks Dani--you have had macaws before? One of biggest concerns is that all of my fids are compatible. I understand that they may not love each other but i usually have them all out together every evening for a few hours. They share a big bowl of fruit and veggies on the coffee table while we eat at the adjacent table and there is remarkably little bickering. Summer (the older IRN) makes sure that everyone, especially the baby IRN knows where her territory is on the table and constanly steals food right out of the beak of the others but no one hurts anyone and they seem to love the community feeding time. The sheer size of the macaw is the cause of some anxiety on my part when it come to them socializing together....
Donna

Post by Donna »

Hi kim I'm with Dani on adopting the B&G for a few reasons. One she is young and can adapt easyier to change. Cockatoo's don't adapt well with change and they could pluck theirself bald in one day if they are not happy. Two B&G's are pretty docile creatures not to much of a screaming problem. I know you have a big heart (me too) I want to take them all home with me. I think if I was just starting out with large birds I would wait till I had more experience before homing a cockatoo. Oh I forgot to mention cockatoo's are very dusty birds and if you have or any of your family members have allergies the cockatoo is not for you. I've been around birds my whole life, my parents used to raise birds and then I followed in their footsteps. Hope this helps. Keep asking questions and I'll help as much as I can. Good luck keep me posted on what your choice is. Donna
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

First and foremost I will never allow Aggie and Prinny to interact...the size difference is too great! I am concered over whether or not I should allow Bodi and her to interact as well...we will have to see on the one. If you do get the B&G please keep the IRNs away from the macaw for the first few months...things between birds are so not predictable!

Keep a watchful eye...and if you want to be 100% sure that your IRNs wont get hurt don't let them interact...

PM me if you want more info on macaws in general (kinda taking up space here lol)

Dani